Senior Electrical Engineer (New York Area)
New York, NY /
Full Time / On site or Remote
Who is Fi?
Fi is rethinking the relationship between dogs and humans. We build products for your dog to live a longer, better life. We are full of experienced, passionate people that have built and shipped outstanding products for Nest, Square, Google and Uber who all care about their dogs. Together, we're bringing a digital revolution to the dog space.
Today's dog industry is a relic from the 80s. We are using technology to improve dog's life and make the 100 million dogs in the US live longer. Dogs' life expectancy hasn't improved in decades - we are here to change this. We are keeping dogs safe by allowing owners to keep track of their whereabouts. We are keeping dogs healthy by showing owners how much they should exercise and keep them accountable. We also monitor health patterns like sleep and overall balance of activity versus resting patterns.
The hardest part about being a dog owner is they can't tell you when something is wrong. Fi aims to change that; We're looking for people to join us who love a good challenge—and of course, dogs. We set the bar high at Fi. In our world, "impossible" means "let me find a way".
If you feel like you belong, keep reading!
Fi is Looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer in the New York Area!
- We are looking for an experienced Electrical Engineer to perform the electronics design and development of Fi devices from prototyping through mass production. This person will be a key member of Fi’s hardware team, and will be responsible for electronics R&D, new product introduction, and sustaining engineering. Our senior EE will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of engineers in the US and overseas to develop the most advanced products in the pet industry. This is an exciting role for an ambitious engineer to have a real impact at a fast-growing hardware startup!
What are the responsibilities?
- Perform electronics design and development for Fi products, from proof-of-concept prototyping through mass production and deployment
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of domestic and overseas engineers to develop system architecture, perform schematic capture and PCB layout, manage board bring-up, complete engineering validation and safety tests, and develop production processes
- Optimize system architecture and component selection to balance power consumption and low-power performance – every uA counts!
- Work closely with overseas CM/JDM to utilize their tech teams effectively to supplement our own team for design tasks, reliability and performance testing, and manufacturing tests
- 5+ years relevant industry experience, high-volume consumer electronics experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree in electrical or computer engineering
- Strong communication skills to collaborate with technical and non-technical teams across multiple countries
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment: we ship early, learn fast, and iterate often so balancing speed against risk is a must
- Experience in circuit design for a variety of domains including low-power, lithium-ion battery powered devices, Wi-Fi, LTE, GNSS, MCU and application processor systems, sensing technologies, and digital communications buses
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout software, Altium preferred
- Expert proficiency in using EE lab equipment – DMM, Oscilloscope, Spectrum Analyzer, Logic Analyzer, etc.
- Experience with basic RF concepts with sufficient depth to manage external RF resources – items such as radiated and conducted performance measurements, antenna measurement, filtering, matching, and desense
- Comfortable soldering SMD components down to 0201 level (with microscope)
- Familiarity with software for embedded systems, script development, and data analysis – C, Python, Bash experience are all preferred
- Able to travel to China (when COVID restrictions allow)
- Must love dogs! We are a dog-friendly workplace and always have several pups in the office
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited Vacation
- Commuter Benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision coverage
- Fully Stocked Kitchen
- Team Lunches
- Perkspot Discounts
- $2,000 / month donated to dog-related charities (it's our #Barkback program)
Fi is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Fi makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and our needs at the time.