Technical Project Manager, Rapid Prototyping
San Francisco, CA
At Fictiv, we’re inspired every day by our customers and teammates.
You’ll have the opportunity to interact with some of the most renowned companies on the planet who make physical products loved by millions. You’ll be working with some of the highest quality and most talented vendors who produce what seems impossible to produce. You’ll be surrounded by a wicked awesome team (think PhDs, Ironmans, artists) who are obsessed with winning the hearts and minds of product engineers and designers who are literally building the future (think autonomous cars)... today.
Impact in this Role
Your role as a Technical Project Manager on your Rapid Prototyping team will be to support and drive improvement to our critical manufacturing functions as well as tactically execute on our rapid prototyping fulfillment operations. We have two sets of customers—our builders, who order parts through us, and our manufacturing partners, who manufacture and assembly these parts—and you’ll take the inputs from our builders and work with our manufacturing partners to deliver on our builders’ expectations. At Fictiv, we believe in creating the world’s premier platform for hardware manufacturing, and you’ll be playing a critical role in making that happen.
In this role, you’ll be using your engineering background, manufacturing process knowledge (including rapid tooling / injection molding, CNC machining, and sheet metal fabrication), and project management skills in order to ensure that there is a match between a our builders’ requirements and the capabilities of the manufacturing partner you are assigning a project to. You’ll use your negotiation skills and understanding of the builders’ design, cost and lead time requirements to address any concerns or questions our manufacturing partners have regarding the work orders you are assigning them so they feel confident with fulfilling the work to our builders’ expectations.
Once work orders have been scheduled, you’ll act as a technical project manager to address any in-process questions our manufacturers may raise, provide production status visibility to our builders, and mitigate major project risks that pose a threat to meeting our builders’ specifications.
You will report to the Director of Supply.
What You'll Be Doing
- Manage projects with top-down oversight throughout entire execution to ensure success as defined by adherence to standards of scope, budget, and timeline
- Develop project plans that merge customer requirements with Fictiv goals, and coordinate various managers and technical personnel during all project phases until fulfilled
- Mitigate risks and coordinate with various stakeholders (internally and externally) in order to ensure the on-time delivery of an order to the builders’ design specifications
- Communicate proactively with all involved personnel to provide encouragement, identify problems, create solutions, and implement efficiency improvements
- Analyze economics of project plans and provide actionable feedback relating to cost-benefit and return-on-investment standards
- Monitor project progress continuously and report on measurable items
- Oversee the distribution of manufacturing work orders to members of our manufacturing partner network in order to fulfill our builders’ orders on time
- Answer open technical questions that our manufacturers may have around how best to manufacture the parts that we have assigned to them
- Identify areas of improvement and driving those improvements to the responsibilities listed above
- Review proposed ECOs/modifications on projects to evaluate and communicate impacts
- Oversee resources and materials as needed before and during projects
- Anticipate details and expectations of future projects
- Stay informed of industry trends and news
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering and 2+ years equivalent work experience
- You are excellent with problem-solving skills
- You are results-oriented
- You are meticulous, detail-oriented, and have an inclination for documentation
- You have a history of data-based decision making
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter, manages time efficiently, able to complete work in a timely manner without active supervision
Fictiv is transforming how teams design, develop and deliver the next generation of hardware products.
Fictiv is a manufacturing platform and the most efficient way to fabricate parts. Powered by a distributed network of highly vetted vendors, Fictiv provides the critical infrastructure teams need to streamline prototyping and accelerate development cycles. The online interface makes it easy for customers to get instant quotes, review manufacturing feedback, and manage orders—all through a single service.
We’re actively seeking potential teammates who can bring diverse perspectives and experience to our culture and company. We believe inclusion is the best way to create a strong, empathetic team. Our belief is that the best team is born from an environment that emphasizes respect, honesty, collaboration, and growth.
We encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups, including but not limited to women, members of the LGBTQ community, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans.