Platform Engineering Manager
San Francisco, CA
Figma is adding to our team of passionate people who are revolutionizing the world of design. We are building a browser-based design tool that looks and feels as good as a native application and has all the additional power and advantages that come from being built upon the web platform. If you’re looking to work at a dynamic company that is building the future of design tools, welcome to Figma.
Don’t be fooled by our focus on design. At its core, Figma is building one of the first truly multiplayer design systems with an architecture similar to MMOs and distributed databases. Our product is free for individuals and small teams and inherently viral so we’re seeing explosive growth in message throughput. Our infrastructure powers realtime collaborative design for leading companies like Airbnb, Uber, and tens of thousands of others big and small. We’re investing in core engineering and infrastructure to make writing all kinds of realtime collaborative apps faster, more secure, and stable by default. Our team brings a wealth of experience working on systems at scale from companies like Dropbox, Google, Mozilla, Asana, Twitch, and more.
If you’re looking to work at a disruptive company who is building the future of design tools, welcome to Figma.
As the Platform Engineering Manager, you will lead the team that manages the infrastructure and services powering Figma’s core. You’ll work with the team to design, build and deploy a low latency, highly scalable, distributed and robust system. Your team will own the servers and services that internal and external developers build upon to empower designers and engineers to build better products faster.
You know how to motivate engineers and have worked on high throughput systems before. You’ve configured & deployed servers and services that recover automatically from failures and understand what it takes to scale low latency systems without downtime. You’ve worked up and down the stack and understand what it takes to design and support abstractions that make everyone around you more effective. Relational vs. Key Value, row vs. columnar, B-tree vs. LSM tree, you know it, and can make the call on where to use it.
- Work with the CTO and VPE to set direction, priorities, and mission for the Platform Team
- Work with your team to set goals and meet them
- Build and mentor a team of diverse engineers
- Architect, develop, deploy and maintain highly available distributed platform services and maintain services for storing and querying large amounts of data efficiently.
- Completely understand and drive the improvement of our servers at all levels - everything from the application layer to bare(or virtualized) metal
- Maneuver through and analyze our databases, file systems, networking stack, and kernel issues
- B.S. or higher in scientific or quantitative field
- 6+ years work experience
- Experience scaling infrastructure and teams in high growth environments
- A desire to build an inclusive and diverse culture
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and others
Figma is the open design company founded in 2012 by Dylan Field and Evan Wallace. With our cloud-based screen design tool, teams achieve a shared understanding around design without worrying about syncing, exporting or installing software. Anyone involved in the product development process can share always up-to-date files with a link. That makes it easy to collaborate on the latest designs and prototypes and see their code attributes. Figma has simplified collaboration across the entire design process for thousands of companies like Microsoft, Slack and Uber and users, including designers, developers, product managers, marketers and others. To learn more and sign up for a free account visit www.figma.com.
At Figma we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.