Product Designer - Editor Experience & Platform
San Francisco or New York or Remote US /
Figma is adding to our team of passionate people who are revolutionizing the world of design. We are building a browser-based design tool that looks and feels as good as a native application and has all the additional power and advantages that come from being built upon the web platform. If you’re looking to work at a company that is building the future of design tools, welcome to Figma.
The editor is the core of Figma, and an important tool that is used by many people every day. We are looking for a designer that can help us design its next many iterations.
Your role would be part of the creation team, and collaborate closely with the team responsible for design systems inside Figma, and the team responsible for prototyping. You would also work very closely with the engineering and product teams.
This is a full-time role that can be held from one of our US hubs or remotely in the continental United States. We work in a highly collaborative environment, where most projects are owned by small groups of a few people. We strive to foster a positive, inclusive culture.
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing new features in the editor and thinking of the editor’s future (including collaborating with support, research, engineering, and our users)
- Maintaining and improving existing features
- Improving, reflecting on, and communicating editor’s quality
- Helping with hiring, mentoring, and establishing a design culture within the company
- Becoming an integral part of our small but mighty design team!
We’re looking for someone with:
- Strong systems thinking, information architecture, and interaction design skills
- Engineering competence, including prototyping experience. While not all design roles at Figma require engineering knowledge, many features in the editor are based on engineering concepts and/or require close collaboration with engineering.
- Communication skills necessary to translate between the user needs and the technical realities of building Figma’s editor
- Knowledge of the building blocks of a design tool, and their technical underpinnings (things like color, typography, vector and bitmap graphics, latency/responsiveness)
- Understanding of the web platform and general awareness and knowledge of the space of creative tools (including design tools)
- 5+ years industry experience as a product designer
- Eagerness to learn, a track record for being self-driven, and experience managing multiple projects at the same time
- Interest and excitement about problem solving and complex systems
- Aptitude for shipping and able to balance quality and time
Here are some projects you would work on:
- Complex, tentpole features similar to Auto Layout, hyperlinks, or Selection Colors
- Improvements to the editor functionality and new functionality: masking, cropping, selection heuristics
- “Invisible” changes like: better copy and paste, improving typography and accessibility, support for variable fonts, line height changes, progressive loading, better saving, new colour and file formats
Figma is the open design company founded in 2012 by Dylan Field and Evan Wallace. With our cloud-based screen design tool, teams achieve a shared understanding around design without worrying about syncing, exporting or installing software. Anyone involved in the product development process can share always up-to-date files with a link. That makes it easy to collaborate on the latest designs and prototypes and see their code attributes. Figma has simplified collaboration across the entire design process for thousands of companies like Microsoft, Slack and Uber and users, including designers, developers, product managers, marketers and others. To learn more and sign up for a free account visit www.figma.com.
At Figma we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.