Software Engineer - Intern
San Francisco, CA
Figma is adding to our team of passionate people who are revolutionizing the world of design. We are building a browser-based design tool that looks and feels as good as a native application and has all the additional power and advantages that come from being built upon the web platform. If you’re looking to work at a dynamic company that is building the future of design tools, welcome to Figma.
We use two different development stacks: a C++ stack for the core editor, and a traditional n-tier web platform using ReactJS, Ruby, Node.js and PostgreSQL. Some of our engineers specialize in just one part of this stack, and others move back and forth between them.
More than anything, we seek engineers with strong coding and algorithms fundamentals, a reputation for engineering excellence, and a love for engineering. If you share our passion of developing amazing new products for designing a better world, let's talk!
Some main areas of focus are
- application development
- experience building professional applications using C++ on the web or desktop
- experience developing connected applications a plus
- graphics programming
- experience with OpenGL or experience building desktop application UIs is a plus
- web frontend
- extensive experience building single page web applications
- experience with ReactJS a plus
- systems engineering
- extensive experience developing and operating computer systems at scale
- experience with Ruby, Node.js, and PostgreSQL is a plus
- familiarity with AWS
- experience implementing distributed systems
- familiarity with OT or CRDT a plus
- Collaborate with designers, QA, and other engineers to design features and break down high level goals into tasks and timelines.
- Build, document and maintain tests, features and infrastructure.
- Communicate and document architectural designs and requirements.
- Provide thoughtful feedback to others on the team.
- Help interview and recruit more talented engineers to Figma.
- Interest in learning other programming languages as needed
- Experience working with two or more from the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, information retrieval, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development
- Working proficiency and interpersonal skills in verbal and written English
- Master’s, PhD degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science or other technical related field
- Background in design (either visual design or UX design)
- Experience with mobile application development on iOS or Android
- Experience with graphics programming (2D or 3D)
- Experience with Web Canvas APIs and/or WebGL
- Experience building professional design tools
- Experience building web-based products at consumer scale
Figma is the open design company founded in 2012 by Dylan Field and Evan Wallace. With our cloud-based screen design tool, teams achieve a shared understanding around design without worrying about syncing, exporting or installing software. Anyone involved in the product development process can share always up-to-date files with a link. That makes it easy to collaborate on the latest designs and prototypes and see their code attributes.
Figma has simplified collaboration across the entire design process for thousands of companies like Microsoft, Slack and Uber; and users, including designers, developers, product managers, marketers and others. To learn more and sign up for a free account visit www.figma.com.
At Figma we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.