Software Engineer - Intern (Spring or Fall)
San Francisco, CA
At Figma, we tackle a wide range of technical challenges: from designing powerful but accessible features in a complex stateful application, to scaling a realtime web service to hundreds of thousands of users. We work across many stacks and technologies, but we don’t expect anyone to know them all! Most of our engineers specialize in one area of our stack, while still being flexible enough to pick up new languages and make changes across systems when needed. As a member of our team, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to both leverage your existing strengths and learn new skills.
More than anything, we seek engineers with strong coding fundamentals and a track record of high quality engineering. We work in a highly collaborative environment, where most projects are owned by small groups of 2-3 people. We strive to foster a positive, inclusive culture - you can read more about our engineering values on our blog. If you’d like to join us on our mission to make design accessible to all, let’s talk!
Some main areas of focus are
- Application development
- Experience building professional applications using C++ on the web or desktop
- Experience developing connected applications a plus
- Graphics programming
- Experience with OpenGL or experience building desktop application UIs is a plus
- Web frontend
- Extensive experience building single page web applications
- Experience with ReactJS a plus
- Systems engineering
- Extensive experience developing and operating computer systems at scale
- Experience with Ruby, Node.js, and PostgreSQL is a plus
- Familiarity with AWS
- Experience implementing distributed systems
- Familiarity with OT or CRDT a plus
- Collaborate with designers, QA, and other engineers to design features and break down high level goals into tasks and timelines
- Build, document and maintain tests, features and infrastructure
- Communicate and document architectural designs and requirements
- Provide thoughtful feedback to others on the team
- Help interview and recruit more talented engineers to Figma
- Interest in learning other programming languages as needed
- Experience working with two or more from the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, information retrieval, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development
- Working proficiency and interpersonal skills in verbal and written English
- Master’s, PhD degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science or other technical related field
- Background in design (either visual design or UX design)
- Experience with mobile application development on iOS or Android
- Experience with graphics programming (2D or 3D)
- Experience with Web Canvas APIs and/or WebGL
- Experience building professional design tools
- Experience building web-based products at consumer scale
We are currently only hiring Spring & Fall Interns 2019
Figma is the open design company founded in 2012 by Dylan Field and Evan Wallace. With our cloud-based screen design tool, teams achieve a shared understanding around design without worrying about syncing, exporting or installing software. Anyone involved in the product development process can share always up-to-date files with a link. That makes it easy to collaborate on the latest designs and prototypes and see their code attributes.
Figma has simplified collaboration across the entire design process for thousands of companies like Microsoft, Slack and Uber; and users, including designers, developers, product managers, marketers and others. To learn more and sign up for a free account visit www.figma.com.
At Figma we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.