San Francisco, CA
First Round is a seed-stage venture capital firm on a mission to build and serve the world's strongest community of entrepreneurs. Uber, Roblox, Square and Notion are some of the companies we’ve been fortunate to partner with — and we’re just getting started.
We’ve built an Insights function at First Round that helps drive our end-to-end investment process. We’re hiring an analyst to join this team in San Francisco and help us continue to develop our decision-making system.
Your core role will include:
- Leading and operationalizing data projects to help improve how we make investment decisions.
- Designing and running internal dashboards that drive our end-to-end investing process.
- Driving analysis to help us uncover new pockets of talent to back.
- Supporting our Annual Meeting and other shareholder touch points.
- Collaborating closely with the Investment and Finance teams on a piece of analysis, from design to delivery.
This is a unique opportunity in which individuals from many backgrounds could excel. Here are just a few examples of profiles we think could be great:
- A former consultant / business operations professional who biases towards action.
- A data analyst / data scientist at a startup who enjoys doing exploratory analysis and testing hypotheses and can always tie it back to business impact (i.e. the “so what”).
- A solutions architect at a young SaaS company who enjoys the balance between client-service, data analysis and designing systems.
- An analytical RevOps/SalesOps/CS Ops professional at a startup looking to broaden their professional horizons.
You could be a great Investment Insights Analyst at First Round if:
- You love playing with numbers. You get excited about diving into data to learn how to improve a product or business. You take just as much pride in doing the work that sits upstream of data analysis: data gathering, preparation, cleaning and deduping.
- You thrive in autonomous environments. You like to understand the goal, but then can figure out the path to make it happen.
- You’re fascinated by technology and how today’s entrepreneurs are shaping the future. You don’t necessarily need deep knowledge of the venture capital industry, but you should be excited about the field and eager to learn the business quickly.
- You have excellent communication skills. You pride yourself on your thoughtful communication. This includes all forms of business communication: oral, slide preparation and presentation, spreadsheet analysis creation, long-form prose in proposals. You know the right questions to ask, as well as when to listen and learn.
- You have a get-things-done mindset. You are laser focused on execution with the drive to get things done. You’re organized, detail oriented and reliable above all else.
- You are a creative problem solver. You are resourceful and clever about tackling the challenges of doing analysis at the seed stage i.e. lack of data and very long feedback loops. You know when to 80/20 something and when we need a true deep dive to find the answer we’re looking for.
- We hope to meet with candidates with at least 3-6 years of working experience. Please note, this is not an investing role, rather it’s a role to support how we invest and operate.
- Try harder for founders. They’re our customers — LPs are our shareholders. Going above and beyond for our founders is what we do. We strive to be a founder's most valuable investor. That’s why we don't pull term sheets, and we're always in for their second round. We respond to their emails in hours, not days. We build candidate pipelines, unprompted. We arrange meal deliveries when they become a new parent. Simply put, we go above and beyond to earn that right to be their first call every time there’s a bump in the road.
- Give your unvarnished opinions and unwavering support. We strive to be kind, not nice. One of the most (counterintuitively) compassionate things you can do is to offer your unvarnished opinion — along with your unwavering support. That willingness to risk a fleeting moment of discomfort in exchange for someone else’s growth is long-term kindness.
- Treat the little things like big things. Everything can always be made better. We’re all about the carefully crafted, the nitty-gritty, and the bespoke. Whether it’s hand cutting each nameplate, or debating the optimal shape of the dinner table, no detail is too small to sweat.
- Make speed a habit. Whatever you’re building, remember that now is better than two weeks from now. We’re fans of starting small and iterating quickly. No matter what we’re launching, you’ll likely hear this question in a meeting: “How soon can we get something out there?”Invent and wander. Never stop experimenting. The best ideas are born out of experimentation. Our flagship programs have always come from our penchant for going out on a limb and approaching problems with a different perspective.
- Build wider doorways and longer tables. We're in the business of backing people and betting on their ideas — no matter where they come from. While talent is evenly distributed, opportunity is not. We need to break down barriers in our investment process, and make sure our work doesn’t stop after writing a check. Everything from the composition of our team to the inclusiveness of our community impacts how we can support founders. First Round is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workspace. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply because we believe that our diverse team helps us build and serve the strongest community of entrepreneurs.
The pay range for this role is $100,000-$150,000 (not including our profit sharing program), and will be determined by a candidate's experience level. Our talent team is happy to share more details about our total compensation and benefits package.