Remote (US) /
Operating Team /
Since 2013, First Round Review has been telling the stories of incredible entrepreneurs. Now we’re looking for another teammate to join us in a new capacity.
We’ve long believed that there is powerful, untapped knowledge out there that can transform the way people build technology companies. There’s just one problem: It’s trapped in other people’s heads — people who are at the top of their fields, who rarely have time to share what they’ve learned (even when they want to).
Through The Review and our work designing curriculum-based programs like Angel Track, we’ve seen the power of open-sourcing this company building and investing knowledge, firsthand. We’re eager to double down on these efforts and tap into the amazing amount of knowledge that our internal team and our broader community has to share.
That’s where you come in.
You will help us capture these insights and develop compelling content by partnering closely with our internal team. This includes interviewing leaders in the First Round community, from investing partners and top angels, to CEOs and experts who consult with companies we’ve backed. The folks you’ll work with bring a wealth of knowledge in a wide range of topics, from go-to-market motions and product strategy, to recruiting tactics and hacks for reference checks — you have the content chops to help pull it out of them and craft must-read materials.
On top of that, you’ll work with the Editor of First Round Review to tackle distribution and operational opportunities and challenges. How can we repurpose a well-crafted memo? Test out talking points in a podcast interview? Turn a slide deck into a cohort-based course? Or dream up entirely new content-based projects, like State of Startups, a book on management or a drip-campaign newsletter that stands out amid the clutter in a founder’s inbox.
In this role, you will:
- Mine for stories from inside and outside of First Round by interviewing senior executives and experts.
- Plan, write, and edit, taking projects from brainstorming and scribbled notes to polished pieces of content.
- Bring a journalistic eye and storytelling flair to even the most technical topics.
- Work with designers and other pros to share this content in a wide range of formats, from slide decks and short Twitter threads, to longer essays and interactive guides, to articles and course curriculums.
What we’re looking for:
- You call yourself a writer first and foremost when you first meet someone or you’re asked at a party. Maybe you run content for a startup or write copy for a tech giant. Maybe you’ve been in journalism forever and are ready for something new. If you’ve had the written word at the center of your career for the last two to five years, you’re on the right track. We love good writing here. And we do a lot of it.
- You’re curious about people. You like asking them questions and learning what makes them tick. Either you regularly interview people as a part of your job, or conduct user testing, or teach people to do something. Asking people about themselves, how they think and work is inherently interesting to you.
- You’ve got a talent for managing multiple stakeholders and coaching people of all backgrounds and seniority levels to deliver the best content possible.
- You’re super organized. You’re a task management junkie who’s always looking for ways to become even more productive and effective. You’re comfortable with the creativity of the unstructured work it takes to figure out a project’s potential, as well as the detailed-oriented execution required to get it over the finish line.
- You’re always tinkering. You’re excited to think big and try different formats when it comes to social media, email marketing, and running experiments to build brands.
- Just the word ‘autonomy’ makes you happy. While this role will report to the Editor of The First Round Review, we’re really looking for a self-starter who can handle projects from start to finish on their own and contribute fresh ideas.
- Tech fascinates you. You don’t necessarily need deep knowledge of venture capital, but you should be willing to learn it fast. There’s a lot of jargon and terminology that gets thrown around in this business, and we want to work with someone who can hit the ground running in this respect. If you’ve written about technology and startups before, that’s a plus. A must have? You’re passionate about democratizing access to knowledge, so more people can build and invest in better companies.
- We serve entrepreneurs. We owe them our unvarnished opinion and unwavering support.
- We honor quality. The little things matter. High standards and attention to the craft are valued here.
- We favor action and think long-term. We decide and execute with urgency today. We define success with the long-term in mind.
- We cherish diversity and inclusion. The strongest communities around the world are diverse and inclusive. We work hard to make sure ours is, too.
- We do things our own way. We choose to be original and find unique, creative solutions to our biggest problems.
- We have fun. We take our work seriously, but not ourselves.
First Round is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workspace. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply because we believe that our diverse team helps us build and serve the strongest community of entrepreneurs.