Washington, DC /
FiscalNote – Data Science & Research /
About this Position
At FiscalNote, we build platforms that connect people to their government, and our Search team builds data pipelines, microservices, and infrastructure to make sure people can find the right information at the right time. As a Software Engineer, you’ll help scale data pipelines that index tens of thousands of new documents daily, support our search engine infrastructure, and build REST APIs for accessing search functionality. You’ll work closely with our researchers, designers, and engineers to define performant solutions to complex open-ended problems, and play a critical role in delivering them to the thousands of organizations that depend on FiscalNote.
About the Team
The Data Operations Department at FiscalNote is responsible for the full lifecycle of data that FiscalNote collects, analyses, and then exposes to our clients through a variety of platforms including web applications, APIs and data feeds. The Search team lives within the Data Operations department and is responsible for creating data pipelines for indexing data from dozens of different sources into our search platform (Elasticsearch), maintaining the underlying cloud infrastructure, defining metrics for search quality, and providing a world-class search experience for several product lines and applications. We also provide a search ‘platform as a service’ and search expertise advising to other internal teams and lines of business.
You are a generalist who loves to work on ambitious projects and pursues creative technological solutions to generalize patterns, extract connections, and surface relevant information across disparate datasets. You have an interest in working with a modern search platform (Elasticsearch, Solr, etc) and in building data pipelines around it. You are passionate about code quality, continuous delivery, testing, and observability; frequently collaborating with team members to implement shared development patterns, thus enabling all to work more efficiently.
You have a working familiarity in cloud infrastructure and are excited about productionizing research to push the bounds of people’s expectations. You are energized by ambiguity and enjoy finding optimizations in an ever-changing environment. You like working in an environment with multiple tech stacks. You apply an iterative development process, building a system that works end-to-end quickly before improving on it more deeply. You get a rush when you successfully orchestrate and automate several complex systems to work together.
You’re comfortable proposing well-thought-out solutions and architectures to both technical and non-technical audiences, taking in stakeholder feedback while designing data-driven approaches that clearly demonstrate actionable, meaningful, and scalable solutions for business problems.
What to Expect in this Position:
- As an individual contributor on the search team, you will collaborate with other data engineers, devops engineers, and data scientists to build and extend the data pipelines and infrastructure that supports search and automated document discovery features across several of FiscalNote’s products.
- You will participate in the full software development lifecycle to design, deploy and maintain production services that help index millions of documents into Elasticsearch and provide a user-friendly interface that abstracts away some of the complexity of the search platform.
- You will work with product managers and designers to help translate high-level user requirements into specific Elasticsearch mapping configurations and search queries.
- You will follow standards for optimization, testing, and tooling; recommending team best practices for deploying and monitoring our search infrastructure (Elasticsearch, Kubernetes, AWS, Datadog).
What Sets You Apart:
- At least 1-2 years of experience in the software industry deploying web applications, microservices, and data pipelines into production cloud environments.
- Knowledge of data ingestion and data processing pipelines
- Knowledge and experience creating RESTful APIs leveraging common standards (including Swagger/OpenAPI)
- Experience with Python-based applications and codebases
- Experience developing solutions with AWS tooling (EC2, S3, SSM, ECS)
- Experience with or willingness to learn Configuration Management and Cloud Provisioning Tools (at least one or more of the following - Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins, Github Actions, CircleCI, CloudFormation)
- Familiarity with combining data across two or more different data stores and systems (PSQL, Oracle DB, Elasticsearch, Neo4j, Redis, Redshift, RMQ)
- Knowledge of government or public policy datasets is a plus
- Previous experience with Elasticsearch is a massive plus
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
If your background and experience align with the competencies above, we encourage you to apply so that we can review your experience and learn more about how you can add to FiscalNote’s growth and success.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so our open vacation policy helps us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.