Director, Data and Visualization
CQ Roll Call Editorial
FiscalNote is looking for a Director of Data and Visualization to lead its growing data journalism group within the CQ Roll Call newsroom. The Director of Data and Visualization will serve as a founding member and expand our efforts in using our data to break stories, tell a story, and create an engaging experience for our audience.
You are a strong performer who is ready to take your career to the next level, assist in building as well as managing a growing team and leading the efforts to discover and tell data-based stories in innovative, interactive ways. The Director of Data and Visualization will report to the company’s Chief Content Officer/Publisher and partner closely with our Multimedia Director at CQ Roll Call.
CQ Roll Call has been a leader in unbiased, nonpartisan political news and analysis for the past 75 years. Twenty recipients of the prestigious Dirksen award for excellence in congressional coverage have been on staff at CQ and Roll Call, and our photographers have won awards from the White House News Photographers Association for 10 straight years. Now that CQ Roll Call is part of FiscalNote, the opportunities to leverage technology and data for our journalism are growing significantly. This is a fantastic opportunity for a motivated individual who has a strong track record in data analysis and visualization, and who wants to lead a growing team.
- Inspire your team to discover and sift through data sets, identify patterns otherwise unseen, and create newly engaging, highly visual ways for our audience to interact with and share the stories that emerge
- Leverage your deep experience with data, graphics and visual storytelling to guide the future of data-based storytelling for CQ Roll Call
- Partner with journalists outside of your team to instill a culture of data-driven storytelling across the newsroom
- Create engaging, cross-platform data visualization experiences that smoothly transition across print, online and video
- Proactively identify and obtain new data sets and platforms that can be utilized across the newsroom, to pioneer new data reporting methods and subjects
- Be a strong manager who can accelerate your team’s efforts and guide their progress
- Establish clear goals, metrics and outcomes for your team in the context of the larger organization and the company
- Partner with newsroom production desks on workflow, style standards and edits
- Connect with newsroom leadership, multimedia and reporting teams, aligning stories among stakeholders and playing a key role in editorial decisions
- Coordinate and connect with counterparts in product and AI development teams to share resources and hone the news product
- Liaise with advertising on major project sponsorship opportunities
- 10+ years experience in data and graphics reporting, including five years as an editor managing data reporters
- Created environments where individual contributors learn, grow, experiment and eventually move on
- Built reciprocal relationships with your peers; helped shape structure and makeup of teams
- Experience with the software and hardware needed to build and process databases and complex web graphics. (If you haven’t worked with these personally you should be able to describe in detail how some of these are used.): SQL; D3; HTML, CSS, JS; Python/Ruby; R; machine learning, natural language processing, elastic search; QGIS; Git; Amazon Web Services: EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, S2; Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with policy and politics news
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We represent the largest press corps on Capitol Hill and serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.