Senior Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA /
Engineering – General /
Who we are
Fizz is a private and authenticated platform designed to revolutionize the social fabric of communities, starting with colleges. After verifying a university email address, students use Fizz to post questions, memes, polls, and chat directly with other verified students, all while maintaining full control of their identity and privacy. Fizz communities are safe, authentic, and inclusive, made possible through community-based moderation.
Launched by two Stanford dropouts, Fizz is currently expanding into colleges all across the US. In a time when social media is plagued by curated highlight reels and lack of authenticity, Fizz is on a mission to redefine the definition of a true social network.
What we’ve done
We first launched Fizz at Stanford in July 2021 and have since seen >95% of undergraduates join the app, half of which use Fizz every day. Since then, we have raised over 16M from NEA, Owl Ventures, and Lightspeed, built a rock-solid engineering team with decades of experience at top tech companies, and expanded Fizz to be the dominant community platform at 70+ colleges.
Where we’re going
Our near term goal is to expand to all US universities by the end of the 2023-2024 academic school year. To get there, we give engineers at Fizz a lot of autonomy and ownership of our product. Some of the things you can expect to work on include:
- Designing and implementing new features from the ground up to drive app engagement
- Building scalable community moderation systems
- Utilizing NLP systems to automatically categorize and target content to users
- Using data to drive product decisions
We are open to candidates of all experience levels who are passionate about being an early employee and want to help drive our company forward.
- Architect, design, and develop scalable services that can support high traffic retail facing applications involving user interactions typical of a social network.
- Design and implement RESTful APIs that are scalable, reliable, and secure
- Setup tools and processes that promote great software development practices.
- Imagine, design, deploy, and iterate new product features.
- Strong fundamentals of CS concepts such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Networking, Operating Systems, Databases.
- Experience as a lead engineer for at least one large scale system that supports at least a million users using a distributed system.
- Ability to articulate and demonstrate common security practices from a developer point of view.
- Strong grasp on product and ability to develop features that college students will use and love.
- Ability to find appropriate new technologies and tools for our stack.
- Experience working with User-Generated Content or a Trust & Safety team.
- Experience with SwiftUI, TypeScript, Firebase, or Google Cloud Platform.
$140,000 - $200,000 a year
Fizz is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant, candidate, or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.