Senior Software Engineer - Backend
EPD (Engineering, Product, Design) – Engineering
IT administrators have one of a company’s hardest and most important jobs. The stakes have never been higher—the average data breach now costs a company $3.92M—yet there’s never been more work to do to ensure everything is secure and compliant. There’s always more devices to keep track of, more software to install, more systems to learn, more security holes to patch, and none of it running on a trusted network. Working in IT sometimes feels like running as fast as you can to stay in the same place.
At Fleetsmith, we’re fixing that. We do for physical Apple devices what Kubernetes did for containers—harnessing smart automation to take the drudge work out of setup and maintenance so IT administrators can focus on the bigger picture. Fleetsmith enables self-healing device configuration where admins can specify the state they’d like a device to be in (apps, OS configuration, accounts, drivers, and more) and Fleetsmith will not only make that happen, it’ll automatically fix it if anything ever drifts out of spec. This can save literally hundreds of hours each year, and it’s the secret sauce that makes us the preferred device management platform for some of the world’s most innovative companies.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will contribute to the services powering Fleetsmith’s SaaS application, APIs, and distributed agents. You will implement complex software in accordance with project requirements, design, and industry best practices. This is a highly collaborative and dynamic role that works daily with product managers to ship high impact features, at a fast pace to delight our customers. This position is based at our headquarters in San Francisco. If you are not local, we are happy to consider remote work arrangements for qualified applicants.
Who you are
- You have strong experience building and delivering microservices based SaaS applications.
- Proficiency coding in Go or in a mainstream language such as Java, Python, C++, Scala, etc.
- Competency with a variety of popular databases (SQL, NoSQL, k/v).
- You have practical understanding of Google Cloud technologies and Docker, or proficiency working in a containerized infrastructure deployed in the cloud.
- You've mastered modern Linux tools.
- You have a track record of mentoring junior engineers and growing their technical skills.
- You have strong CS fundamentals and value rigor in engineering.
- You are proficient at using systematic debugging to diagnose all issues within a set of related domains.
- Bachelor's degree or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related fields.
- 5+ years’ experience with a minimum of 2 years’ experience leading projects.
What you'll do
- Provide technical guidance in software design and development activities.
- Own component(s) of the product and direct the work of other team members.
- Design, code, test, debug, document, and maintain software applications using established coding standards and methodologies.
- Collaborate with product management team to plan new features.
- Participate in planning and scoping meetings for future projects.
- Participate in Scrum activities, perform code reviews, contribute to a high-performing, growing team.
- Ensure new software meets quality standards through writing unit and automated tests.
- Follow established development, documentation, testing, and deployment processes.
- Work cross-functionally to resolve complex customer problems.
- Be responsible for managing and maintaining project and work backlog; re-prioritize tasks as the business deems appropriate.
- Lead other engineers in planning, prioritizing, and executing assigned tasks within deadlines; identify, track, and mitigate risks as appropriate.
- Actively work across the organization to apply infrastructure security best practices in every capability delivered.
- You believe any bug isn't just a failure in the code, it's an opportunity to improve the testing screen.
- Train, coach, and mentor other engineers.
- Stay current with new technology trends.
Fleetsmith was founded by former IT and security leaders from Dropbox and Fandom who combined their security engineering and IT expertise into an all new approach to managing Macs. It is trusted by companies like Robinhood, HackerOne, Segment, and more. Fleetsmith is based in San Francisco and backed by Menlo Ventures, Tiger Global Management, Upfront Ventures, and Harrison Metal.
Great products come from great teams, and great teams want to be where they can do the best work of their lives. That’s why we obsess over Fleetsmith the company every bit as hard as we do over Fleetsmith the product. Learn more about what we mean by checking out our Life at Fleetsmith page.
If you're excited about this role and you think you've got the chops, you should apply. Finally and most importantly—to prove you read this job description, please include a smiley face :) in front of your name when you apply, and also include a short cover letter.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.