Director of Continuous Improvement
Chicago, Illinois /
Operations – Operations /
Flexe solves the hardest omnichannel logistics problems for the world’s largest retailers and brands. Integrating technology, open logistics networks, and elastic economic models allows Flexe customers to move fast, at scale, and with precision. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in Seattle, Flexe brings deep logistics expertise and enterprise-grade technology to deliver innovative eCommerce fulfillment, retail distribution, same-day delivery, and network capacity programs to the Fortune 500. Flexe is transforming the $1.6T logistics industry. For more information, please visit flexe.com.
The Flexe Logistics team is looking for a Director of Continuous Improvement to act as the Process Owner for the Industrial Engineering and Process Improvement teams. The Logistics team works with customers that have enlisted Flexe to help them supplement or outsource their fulfillment operations for eCommerce and retail distribution. We provide software and logistics support to enable efficient and high quality execution from our warehouse partners on behalf of our customers. An ideal candidate is comfortable working cross functionally with Commercial, Finance, Tech and Logistics personnel to drive for continuous improvement. You will be responsible for developing and recruiting a world class team, including owning the staffing plan that will allow the team to keep pace with the growth in client projects and size of the company at large. You will play an integral role in creation of the Flexe Center of Excellence, a program built with a foundation on Lean 6 Sigma principles. You will be a critical cross-functional leader who can successfully partner with Flexe internal teams including Sales, Operations, Solutions Design, Transportation, and Tech teams. In addition to supporting your team, you will work directly with warehouse partners, and clients.
The Director of Continuous Improvement will report into the Director of Operational Excellence
Onsite travel to warehouses will be required as needed, up to 25%
- Recruit and develop IE and Process Improvement Specialists
- Oversee development and improvements of the IE tool kit.
- Oversee development of Lean/6 sigma tool kit
- Asses external tools and or develop internal tools and training for use in supporting Flexe center of excellence
- Develop standards in order to improve efficiency and performance across the business
- Provide feedback to the Flexe product development team for improvements to the Flexe software to improve warehouse effectiveness
- Active participant in creation of Solutions playbook by program (eCommerce, Retail, etc.) including best practices documents, sample layouts, etc.
- Partner with the Flexe Solutions Design Team, Logistics and Commercial teams on how to improve internal data gathering and estimating processes. Work with the head of Solutions Design to automate such processes where possible.
- Actively participate in launch & escalations of complex projects to validate process effectiveness & improve where/when necessary.
- Coordinate and communicate technical information to and from all levels of the organization including warehouses, project managers, production team members, and logistics team members.
- Coach process owners on use of engineering methods to achieve operational excellence.
- Lead continuous improvement deployment using fundamentals of lean/6 sigma (standard work, visual management, continuous flow, process control)
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering. Masters Degree preferred.
- 10 years experience with increasing responsibility leading Industrial Engineering and Process Improvement teams in warehousing.
- Experience supporting an operation with significant spikes in order demand due to market conditions (such as Black Friday spikes for ecommerce companies)
- Experience working in multiple market segments (general retail items, high-tech goods, industrial parts, perishable goods, and healthcare supplies)
- Experience setting-up and supporting traditional Warehouse Management System (WMS) required. Experience with Labor Management Systems (LMS) Order Management Systems (OMS) .
- Experience developing strategic partnerships and driving standards development in order to improve efficiencies and performance.
- Advanced project management skills, including developing project plans, timelines / schedules, budgets, proposed layouts, resource requirements, calculating ROI, etc.
- Experience training and managing an engineering team.
- Expert knowledge of Lean Principles, 6 Sigma Black Belt preferred.
- A history of “hands-on” approach to problem solving and countermeasure implementation within own areas of responsibility.
- A history of driving projects in a very dynamic start up environment.
- Travel will be required up to 25%
- Must be authorized to work in the US without restriction. We will not be sponsoring visas for this role at this time
The benefits package at Flexe is thoughtfully designed to help people lead healthy lives in and outside of work.
-Health benefits for individual:
--Dental and vision are covered 100%
--Medical is covered 100% for HSA or a small premium for PPO.
-401k Matching Program
-Internet Stipend, while we're 100% work from home
-$300 Work from home office reimbursement
-20 days of PTO
-13 Total Holidays
--10 company holidays (We've added Juneteenth to our list of holidays observed)
--2 floating holidays
--Take your birthday off!
-Paid Parental Leave & Bereavement Leave
-Paid Volunteer Time
-Industry learning initiatives with talks, demos, site visits. Etc.
Working at Flexe:
Here are a few perks that make day to day work at Flexe even more enjoyable:
-Choice of MacBook or PC and monitor setup, and height adjustable standing desk
-Located in historic Pioneer Square; restaurants, bars, shops, and mass transit hub
-PhilanthroFlexe program. A quarterly program where we give back to the community through volunteer work, fundraising drives, etc.
Other benefits available when in-office:
-Bike lockers and showers
-Fully stocked pantry and beverage fridge
-Team sports such as Kickball, Softball, etc.
Flexe participates in E-Verify, an employment authorization program through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration.
Flexe is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.