Head of Financial and Payment Operations
New York, NY /
Founded in 2019, Flex is an early stage NYC-based FinTech startup that is building the infrastructure to enable flexible bill payments for all Americans, starting with a very common and very large expense: rent. Flex enables its users to pay their rent throughout the month on a schedule that better fits their finances, rather than paying the full amount on the first of each month. This enables renters to better manage their bills and have more available cash throughout the month. Although we're starting with renters, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Interested in learning more? Join us!
As Flex’s Head of Financial and Payment Operations, this is a unique opportunity to build out best in class consumer lending and payments infrastructure from the ground up, and drive the most critical function of our business: delivering money to billers and collecting payments from users. From building foundational infrastructure to automating origination and payment processes to collaborating with our strategic partners, this role will have independence and broad exposure to the product, engineering, finance, and operations, as well as external capital markets investors.
- Build our loan servicing platform to support multiple originators and credit facilities.
- Scale the operational platform for issuing and acquiring, in order to manage the flow of funds between Flex, bank partners, debt facilities, biller partners, and customers.
- Develop and manage relationships with our payment processing partners.
- Own the reconciliation infrastructure for daily payments and capital flows.
- Collaborate with Product, Engineering, and Operations to build an automated end-to-end settlement roadmap including origination, purchases, and collections.
- Develop processes and teams to manage fraud, customer disputes, refunds, and chargeback responses.
- Build process and tools to manage novel and edge case payments use cases.
- Collaborate with the Analytics and Risk teams to provide insights on financial ledger & portfolio performance.
- Partner with the Finance and Corporate Development teams to support strategic business initiatives such as capital fundraising, opportunistic investments, and analysis for new product launches.
- Partner with the Legal and Compliance teams to build the best-in-class payments and lending compliance program.
- Extensive experience (7+ Years) in payments, operations, and/or treasury operations roles with exposure to asset-backed consumer lending and payments infrastructure.
- Prior experience in bill payments, BNPL, or B2B2C a plus
- Operating experience at a lending startup a plus
- Working knowledge of the regulations affecting consumer lending and payments technology
- Independent self-starter who enjoys spearheading projects with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Compliance-minded attention to detail, with strong knowledge of lending, payment scheme rules, BSA/AML, privacy and payments laws
- MBA a plus
Life at Flex:
We understand that it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, curious, determined, empathetic, and self aware people to grow a successful company. Our HQ is located in New York City, but we are remote-friendly with employees located throughout the US, Australia, Brazil, and Israel. We are growing quickly, but deliberately, with a focus on building an inclusive culture. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace.
We offer many employee benefits, including:
- Competitive pay
- Company-paid medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) + company stock options
- Unlimited paid time off + company paid holidays
- Parental leave + IVF and adoption support
- Flex Cares Program: Non-profit company match + pet adoption coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Free Flex subscription