Director of Marketing and Communications
New York, NY
Marketing – Management
Flippable is building a national movement to flip states from red to blue. We empower voters, volunteers, and donors with information that both educates and motivates them to support Democrats at the state level. Our primary activities are:
Raising awareness: We produce original digital content that highlights the critical role of state governments in a balanced democracy. Our content is viewed over 10M times per month.
Running the numbers: We are building a model to identify which Democratic candidates donors should invest in -- where their dollars and time will have the greatest ROI. Our analysis shows where we are most likely to flip seats and, ultimately, the state chambers that have the greatest impact on redistricting and voting rights.
Supporting candidates: We show our community the highest-impact ways to get involved through clear, tangible calls to action. Since November 2016, we have raised over $400,000 and deployed thousands of volunteers to support Democrats running in the most critical -- and flippable -- races.
who you are
As Flippable’s first Director of Marketing and Communications, you will design and execute campaigns that reach millions of users and achieve significant impact on state races. You will be responsible for growing and engaging our community through informative editorial content, jaw-dropping infographics, captivating images and videos. You’ll help us do this in a data-driven way, testing and refining our messages and media to find the most cost-effective ways to deliver content. Your work will include both individual contributions (setting a strategic vision and creating a content calendar and guidelines) and significant management responsibilities (overseeing staff and contractors doing editorial, creative, and digital work).
your responsibilities will include:
setting and refining flippable’s content vision and strategy
- Creating a content plan and calendar to meet user growth and engagement goals and drive candidate fundraising
- Developing marketing strategies by channel and type of content; setting content guidelines that can be used by team members and contractors
- Building an influencer strategy to increase flippable’s presence across diverse networks and followings
- Preparing monthly reports on user growth, engagement, and conversion; using analytics to evaluate and refine the content vision/strategy
managing marketing, editorial, and creative staff and contractors to produce digital content and ads, and to achieve growth and engagement goals
- Overseeing the production of high-quality digital content, including blog entries, social media posts, graphic images, and videos
- Owning weekly and monthly user growth, engagement, and conversion KPIs
- Developing team management processes and systems to ensure the timely execution of tasks
- Recruiting, vetting, selecting, and working with branding, digital, videography, and other contractors to create high-quality digital content
- Coaching and mentoring team members to grow personally and professional
creating and executing a press and communications strategy
- Creating and maintaining a pipeline of PR relationships
- Drafting press releases in anticipation of significant internal and external events
- Owning monthly goals for number and quality of press hits
- Attending events and making presentations on behalf of Flippable
- BA/BS or equivalent experience
- 6-8 years of work experience in marketing, communications, and/or digital strategy
- Demonstrated track record managing internal and external communications to meet user acquisition, engagement, and conversion goals
- Experience creating high-quality digital content for diverse audiences
- Experience building a digital advertising program and driving down the cost of user acquisition and engagement
- 2-4 years experience managing high-performing teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Master’s degree in business administration, law, public policy, or journalism
- Experience working on a political campaign
- Experience as a journalist, and/or existing relationships with media outlets, journalists, and vendors
- We are looking for alignment, not fit. We value team members who can both exemplify and help us refine and push forward our core values and culture -- not just fit into an existing culture.
- We are proactively seeking a nationally representative team. You can see our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Principles here. We are using recommendations from Project Include, among other organizations, to design an inclusive hiring process that minimizes opportunities for bias. This means that our process may take a bit longer, and include less conventional elements (e.g., anonymized assignments), than other hiring processes. We appreciate your patience.
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
You are excited to join a small but mighty team of doers who take on the duties of their roles with gusto -- and who also envision their long-term growth within our organization. You are both focused and flexible. You can identify the most effective way to drive toward a goal, but you also understand that goalposts may shift as we learn.
You are accountable and solution-oriented. When you see a problem, you work with others to drive toward a solution.
You share our commitment to building a fair, inclusive government and our conviction that this requires electing progressives to state office. You believe strongly in our core values and have shown them in a variety of work or academic contexts. You can speak to your personal motivations for joining this movement and our team.