Primary Care - Medical Director
Per Diem (Remote)
Title: Primary Care - Medical Director
Florence Health is a next-generation Primary Care Provider growing rapidly in towns and cities around the country. Named after the legendary nurse Florence Nightingale, Florence was founded in 2019 with a simple mission: to serve the patient, above all else. Florence is currently available to Medicare patients exclusively, and operates fully at risk for all of our patients' outcomes and spend, enabling our clinics to invest in the delivery of added benefits, services and staffing that are not possible in a fee-for-service environment.
Florence's relentless focus on patient satisfaction and care results, through our platform of medical professionals, staff, technology, and premium modern clinic spaces designed from the ground up, has earned us a reputation with our patients of going above and beyond on every facet of service delivery - from the front desk to the exam and follow-up experience, and everything in between.
For more information, visit www.florencehealth.com
Medical Directors at Florence
Medical Directors will be joining Florence Health at a key time in the history of our company and of primary care nationally. The opportunity for impact is large and growing, and Florence Health, with its peers, is leading the transition from fee-for-service to value-based care, starting with Medicare patients.
In Florence's clinics, the Medical Director role is responsible for leading primary care physician and/or mid-level providers in his/her neighborhood of clinics. As compared to more "hands off" Medical Directorships, Florence's Medical Director position is a hands-on mentor/collaborator role providing daily guidance and case discussion by phone and other means, and weekly onsite mentorship in the Florence primary care clinic. Florence's new site Medical Director often begins as a focused, part-time collaborative role (~10 hours per week), geared well for primary care physicians with successful, established practice careers of their own who want to start giving back to the medical community and shaping the next generation of care providers.
As such, this role comes with mission-critical leadership responsibilities, which include setting an example for how thoughtful primary care is practiced, serving as a formal mentor, coach, and advisor to providers in Florence Clinics, and participating in critical organizational-wide strategic initiatives.
At Florence, Medical Directors have substantial medical leadership and collaboration duties:
Provider Management: We want provider leadership as close to the practicing providers as possible. This means our medical directors in addition to collaborating with physicians/mid-level providers through phone and other means, are also able to come onsite in clinics once a week to provide in-person observation and collaboration time with providers and patients in the exam room during visits. Ongoing provider management also includes chart/medical-decision-making review and mentorship, owning provider medical performance reviews, and supporting new provider orientations.
Leadership & Coaching: At Florence, success isn’t completing the visit or hitting an R.V.U. target. Success is high quality care: (1) minimal hospital admissions, (2) excellent preventive/chronic disease quality metrics, and (3) a great patient experience. In other words: help our patients be happy, healthy, and help prevent emergency and acute situations. Our Medical Directors understand these ends and the means to achieve them, and they recognize these skills don’t come naturally to many clinicians; our Medical Director share their wisdom with others and help other clinicians understand the means and methods of great care. They help providers master the importance of seeing both the forest and the trees, collecting an in-depth history and physical, working both "smart" and "hard", pursuing and ruling out differential diagnoses adeptly as a rule of thumb, and overall using data-driven tools and practices required to keep patients well and out of the hospital. Florence Medical Directors engage all level of providers to the benefit of our teams and our patients. Tactically this also includes participating in monthly Grand Rounds across Florence's clinics and and helping review monthly quality dashboards with the team, coaching on tools to improve quality outcomes, and ensuring providers are overall engaged and responsible for the quality of care they deliver.
Support Organizational Strategy: We expect our Medical Directors to support our goal of continuous improvement. This is leadership close to the bedside, and it gives our medical directors a chance to be ears-on-the-ground as well as eyes-in-the-sky, sharing best practices and improvement opportunities with others on the Florence team. The Medical Director’s duties are primarily focused on the smart management of his/her regional Florence primary care provider(s), but they will have strategic input into a variety of organizational-wide projects and other initiatives which will fall into the following categories:
- Care Management
- Quality Improvement
- Utilization Management
- Clinical Committee Functions/Leadership
- Network Management
- Documentation/Risk Adjustment
- Clinical Compliance & Policy Development
What We're Looking For
We believe the best Medical Directors for Florence's clinics have the following:
- Passionate about their work, eager to have fun with our team, motivated to be a part of a fast growing organization.
-Aware of their leadership skills and potential for impact and eager to share those with a fast growing, energetic team on the leading edge of healthcare innovation.
- M.D., D.O., or A.P.N. graduates, with board certification in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, General Practice, or Geriatric Medicine.
- 5-15 years of experience in outpatient practice.
- Fellowship training in Geriatrics, other professional degrees (e.g., M.B.A., J.D., M.P.H.), and prior executive roles a bonus but certainly not required.
- Extensive experience in clinical leadership roles, leading and coaching physicians to be the best they can be for their patients and their colleagues.
- Experience using a metrics-driven approach to analyze cost, quality, and satisfaction data to drive clinical strategy and program redesign.
- Excited by process of developing and implementing new processes. Must be willing to “get hands dirty” in executing upon the Florence vision.
- Belief that population health and a focus on smart allocation of scarce resources can lead to high value care (better care, lower cost), both in terms of quality and safety.
- Ability to remain calm in the midst of the storm, guiding others to smart, effective solutions.
- Commitment to older adults and to low-income patients.
- Comfort with ambiguity and a love for problem solving.
- Have a work hard/play hard mentality.
Florence’s flexible Medical Director careers come with advantages that aren’t offered by the majority of health systems and medical groups, including:
- A supportive and passionate culture where primary care providers are treated like rockstars, both amongst the Care Team and extending to the rest of the staff and administration.
- Highly regarded physician leadership.
- High levels of responsibility and rapid advancement.
- Ongoing CME support and fully covered professional liability insurance.
- Opportunity to be at the forefront of fixing the U.S. healthcare system.
Florence is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are all humans!