Multiple Locations /
Full Time (Remote)
Florence Health is a primary care clinic operator that takes global risk for the patients we care for, currently serving ~20,000 Original Medicare patients in the ACO REACH program, with approximately $280 million of top-line revenue in 2023. Founded in 2019 and named after the legendary nurse Florence Nightingale, the Company has grown organically through a combination of de novo staff-model facilities and independent practice affiliations, all supported by the Company's risk & clinical technology platform named Nightingale.
Florence's relentless focus on patient satisfaction and care results, through our platform of medical professionals, staff, technology, and premium modern clinic spaces designed from the ground up, has earned us a reputation with our patients for going above and beyond on every facet of service delivery - from the front desk to the exam and follow-up experience, and everything in between.
For more information, visit www.florencehealth.com
The Controller Role
Responsible for directing accounting and financial services, including payroll and accounts payable. Responsible for ensuring the accuracy and integrity of all financial-related data and protecting the assets of the organization by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing compliance with internal financial controls. Guides financial decisions by collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting accurate and timely financial data in accordance with GAAP to all levels of management within the organization. Also responsible for complying with a variety of regulatory report requirements and the coordination of various audits.
Essential Functions / Major Responsibilities:
· Coordinates monthly closing processes. Prepares monthly financial package for the Management. Financial statement preparation includes, but is not limited to: Income Statements, Balance Sheets, Statements of Cash Flows, A/R Reserve Analysis, and Investment Schedules
· Directs/manages the activities of General Accounting (Fixed Assets and Account Reconciliations), Accounts Payable, and Payroll. Provides leadership, developmental opportunities, guidance, and support to Accounting staff. Performs all functions of management, including planning, directing, monitoring, and controlling
· Coordinates various annual financial audits. Develops methodologies and practices to track and analyze data throughout the year. Prepares various schedules and analysis as required
· Fulfills governmental reporting requirements by compiling information and/or preparing various reports, including Quarterly Payroll Tax Reports, Tax Returns, Capital Expenditure Reports, and Unclaimed Property Reports
· Coordinates the preparation of the annual 990. Works closely with outside audit companies to ensure that information reported to the IRS is complete, accurate, and timely. Gathers required information and completes the required schedules
· Compiles and reports monthly statistical information
· Reviews and approves all Balance Sheet reconciliations. Makes recommendations or determines course of action to resolve open items
· Achieves budget objectives by analyzing variances and communicating and initiating corrective action when possible
· Maintains all bank account records, including authorized signers and online securities
· Presents and explains financial results to the CEO, CFO, administration, department managers, and others
· Works closely with department managers and administration to provide them with the information necessary for making sound financial decisions for the purpose of enhancing revenue and controlling expenses
· Complies with IRS regulations, wage and hour laws, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles by studying existing and new legislation. Enforces adherence to requirements, advising management on needed actions or changing processes under one’s direct control as changes occur
· Develops accounting processes/procedures as new programs are implemented. Responsible for driving changes to improve, enhance, and enforce the financial control process
· Assists with the preparation of the annual budget
· Coordinates, reviews, and reconciles the annual submission of W-2s and 1099s
Additional Role Notes:
As a key team member of a fast-moving, high-ambition startup, this role involves:
· A wide diversity of work situations.
· A high degree of complexity.
· Self direction and initiative as the senior-most accounting and financial reporting and planning individual at the Company (including decisions regarding accounting practices, policies, processes, programs, etc.)
· The role will work closely with the Director, Operations at a peer level, and will report directly to the CEO.
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting or a related field
· Basic computer skills
· Five+ years of accounting experience
· Healthcare experience
· Two-four years of leadership experience
· CPA and/or CMA
· Experience with Sage Intacct
The following information is designed to outline the functions and position requirements of this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained.
Florence Health employees are united in our quest to improve the health and well-being of our patients, and we empower each of our team members to fulfill this mission and reach their full potential regardless of function, geography, or experience level.
To this end, we offer:
- Leading compensation packages at all levels throughout the Company
- Covered medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance plan options
- Sponsored 401(k) plan, with up to 5% matching contribution
- Paid Time Off and Paid Sick Leave, along with additional case-based categories of leave (e.g. parental leave)
- Work-from-home options when applicable
- Monthly company-wide “virtual happy hour” encompassing all clinics, corporate offices, and work-from-home team members
- A "One Team" culture of deep respect and admiration across all teams and functions, regardless of role, location, or background
Florence is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are all humans!