Florida Democratic Party – Communications /
The Florida Democratic Party (FDP) is seeking an experienced Communication Director to work with Executive Leadership to run a successful Communications Department. The Communications Director will be responsible for leading the development of an overall branding and messaging plan and strategy, act as spokesperson for the FDP when appropriate, maintain and grow connections and relationships with the local, state and national press, and work with Democratic elected officials, party officials and allies to hold Republicans accountable while sharing Democratic priorities and messages.
This position will oversee all internal and external communications and execute plans that raise the Democratic Party’s profile, strengthen the Democratic Party’s narrative, drive earned media and rapid response efforts and communicate the Party’s message. The Communications Director will also be expected to contribute on several office-wide projects including large-scale fundraisers, large events, elections, the Convention and other tasks as assigned.
- Developing and implementing overarching communications strategy, plans and messages for the State Party;
- Ensuring message continuity across all areas of communications programs;
- Building and executing an aggressive statewide surrogate program;
- Writing and editing external communications, including talking points, statements, scripts, press releases, presentations, op-eds and other media outreach materials for the Chair and ED of the FDP, as well as our Democratic leaders when needed;
- Working with local stakeholder groups to help spread a coordinated message statewide;
- Facilitating press conferences and other earned media events;
- Working with a team to develop and manage a robust social media program;
- Compiling press and issues information and writing briefings;
- Working with legislative leadership to take advantage of press opportunities;
- Maintaining and updating media lists;
- Monitoring local and national press for relevant stories and developments;
- Creating and implementing a communications calendar;
- Develop and manage strategies that meet our needs day to day communications as well as long term goals;
- Provide immediate and timely communication to address external messaging needs;
- Aggressively seize media opportunities (generate earned media) that appear on the local, state, and national stage, to promote the values and candidates of the Florida Democratic Party;
- Ensure that all messaging and communications are timely and accurate (rapid response);
- Work with the national Democratic Party and their press teams to ensure that messaging and priorities align;
- Directing Communication Department staff, interns and volunteers in the planning and execution of communications efforts and press events;
- Track, create, manage, and send out frequent press clips, talking points, op-eds and/or communication, including analytics as needed;
- Serve as spokesperson for the Florida Democratic Party, when directed;
- Acting as point of contact for guest speakers, providing briefing documents and talking points, and attending to other special requests;
- Maintain and grow strong relationships with other communications professionals in the Democratic Ecosystem, locally, statewide and nationally, including reporters;
- Acting as point of contact with allied campaigns, our elected officials and candidates for communications strategy, plans and events.
Qualifications and Skills
- A passion and a commitment to Democratic Party values and electing democrats.
- Ability to be creative and innovative in design and use of communications tactics
- 4+ years proven communications experience.
- Proficient in G-Suite and all social media platforms.
- Experience directing and managing a department and its staff.
- Proven track record of creative and compelling external communications work.
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently.
- Excellent people, written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented and comfortable working in a fast-paced office environment.
- Superior organization skills and dedication to completing projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to creatively solve problems and look for efficiencies and ways to improve FDP’s communications and systems
- Bilingual proficiency preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time.
- Position is based in Florida
- Office hours are 9:30 – 5:30, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly
The Florida Democratic Party is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The FDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.