Miami, Florida /
Florida Democratic Party – Political /
The Florida Democratic Party is expanding and seeking an experienced Political Director to run a robust political operation with a primary focus of supporting Florida’s elected officials and leaders, along with our candidates.
In this role, you will build relationships and collaborate with Party, Federal, State, County and Municipal candidates and our elected officials to build political power across the state. The director will focus on short term wins in elections and creating, sustaining and wielding permanent political infrastructure for future campaigns, candidates and elected officials allowing the Democratic Party to secure Democratic and political victories in Florida. This position is based in Florida and reports to the senior leadership team.
- Supervise all in-state political staff;
- Act as liaison from the Party to Florida elected officials and their staff;
- Draft political plans for overall direction and focus of political program for the entire state;
- Plan and coordinate political field type event activities to engage at the city, county, state and federal level;
- Provide input and draft sections for statewide electoral and issue based campaign plans;
- Work closely with the various FDP departments to provide our elected leaders with a grassroots platform, audience and an opportunity to amplify the message of the Democratic Party via our elected leaders;
- Work directly with the Executive Director on defining electoral strategies, plans and benchmarks in coordination with Party leadership and elected officials;
- Create a roadmap and plan for expanding the Party’s political footprint through the strengthening of relationships and program development with statewide and national Democratic and progressive coalition partners;
- Identify and develop relationships with key partners, coalitions and stakeholders across the state;
- Ensure coordination between departments related to electoral and political activities and issue campaigns;
- Manage projects with competing deadlines and needs;
- Conduct regular political call time and check-ins to elected officials;
- Collect and prepare reports for senior leadership based on input and Party requests from our elected officials;
- Create and maintain contact information for all Democratic elected officials and their staff at the City, County, State and Federal level;
- Plan and lead large political and surrogate events across the state.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least two cycles of political campaign experience (minimum one cycle in Florida);
- Excellent organization skills and experience working with elected leaders;
- Event planning and organization;
- Ability to facilitate and coordinate meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively; both verbally and written;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team;
- Believe in democratic values and mission.
Other Job-Related Requirements
- Travel to satellite and other statewide locations;
- Attend various meetings as assigned by leadership and serve as a support resource to local organizations;
- Proficient in G-Suite and VAN;
- May require day and/or overnight travel and non-traditional work schedules.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- Prior professional experience working with, and managing, volunteers;
- Fluent in a second language;
- Hold knowledge of and relationships with Florida elected officials and staff;
- Have experience with ballot measure campaigns
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel extensively at times throughout the state for more than a day at a time
- Must be able to travel often for several days at a time
- Office hours are 9:00AM – 6:00PM, Monday through Friday, however, evening and weekend hours will be needed regularly
- Must have the ability to regularly lift and carry 25lbs
Salary & Benefits
- The Florida Democratic Party offers a competitive salary and benefit package with the opportunity for growth. Salary is negotiable and based on experience. This is a full-time position and available immediately. Position includes full health, dental, and vision benefits.
The Florida Democratic Party is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The FDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.