Sr. Backend Engineer
Engineering – Backend
Flow is a SaaS e-commerce platform that enables brands and retailers to become international and sell cross-border. Flow’s API driven platform enables merchants to sell & ship globally from their own sites, solving all cross-border pain points throughout the entire e-commerce supply chain, such as local payment methods, international shipping options, and all aspects of the upstream site localization such as duty/tax calculation, local pricing and product restrictions. These challenges create enormous friction to selling globally for merchants. The result is a next generation platform for cross-border commerce, focused on the customer experience and on maximizing conversion rates.
Flow has raised $55m+ in funding (most recently Series B) from NEA, Amex Venture, Bain Capital Ventures, Forerunner and Fung Capital and more.
About the Role:
Flow is in the business of making what is normally difficult and complex in the world of global e-commerce simple and elegant. You will be a critical part of that mission. Flow is looking for a Sr. Backend Engineer that will focus on transforming ideas into products that connect our clients to their customers across the globe. You’ll join a team of engineers, designers, and product managers to bring value to our core business. You will build and support the technologies that power the digital side of our business, from our client facing console to order fulfillment and work cross functionally to build exceptional experiences and help our platform better support our evolving business. Our product is built on microservice architecture (Scala backends, ReactJS frontends), practice API-first software development, and run continuous delivery.
This position will report into our Engineering Manager and will be based in our Hoboken office.
- Define and build elegant and simple APIs to solve difficult problems in retail and cross-border
- Work with a growing, motivated, and brilliant team to change the world of cross-border e-commerce
- Work with a modern cloud-based microservice architecture written in Scala and Play Framework and built on Docker
- Work with cloud based environments such as Kubernetes and AWS
- Write code mostly in Scala. However, languages can be learned. We care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language.
- Share your expertise by providing guidance and direction to more junior members of the team
- A technical software engineer with strong knowledge in algorithms and data structures
- You write clean, well-tested, and maintainable code
- Love to solve large and challenging problems that make a huge impact in the physical world
- Always learning and hungry for new knowledge and skill sharing
- Eager to work in small collaborative teams with people that appreciate beautiful code
- Familiar with functional programming and a desire to learn Scala
- A teacher, you like to share your knowledge base and get a kick out of watching members of your team grow in their own knowledge and skill set
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a closely related field
- 5+ years as a backend engineer at a SaaS company
- Proven experience across the Software Development Life cycle
- Experience with Agile, Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment
- Interest and knowledge of cloud technologies and tooling
About our Software Development:
Flow practices and pioneers continuous delivery with a constant flow of changes to our software from development through automated testing into production, deploying updates into the production environment multiple times a day with a tight feedback loop through canary deploys, production metrics monitoring, and alerting. This allows us to build software rapidly, confidently, and iteratively, testing in production and substantially reducing the latency that more traditional development methods incur. At the same time, this approach minimizes both the risk as well as the blast radius of bugs, and ensures our clients gain immediate value from our updates and new features.
At Flow, we're looking for people with a passion for learning and a willingness to make an impact. We love problem-solvers and out-of-the-box thinkers. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We’d love to get a chance to connect with talented and ambitious individuals. At Flow, we welcome diverse perspectives and people that enjoy being challenged. Join us!
Flow is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!