Senior Back-End Software Developer - Ruby on Rails
Flow Kana is a leader in sustainable, sun-grown cannabis representing two of California's most special micro-climates and their small farmer ecosystems. We give scale to premier, artisan farmers in Mendocino County and Southern Humboldt by distributing branded products through both wholesale and retail channels.
As a leader in California cannabis, Flow Kana has notably and strategically purchased an 80-acre, 85,000 square foot historic family winery in Mendocino which is being converted into the largest-ever cannabis processing and distribution center in Northern California
- Report to the Head of Engineering
- Play a key role in implementing new product features, large and small on a host of applications that represent supply chain management, inventory forecasting, farmer apps, wholesale buyer portals, BI tools, and online e-commerce systems
- Design and develop key client and server systems, APIs, applications, and tools
- Identifying bottlenecks and bugs, and devising solutions to these problems
- Collaborating with other team members through code reviews and occasional pair programming
- Guiding technical decision making and contributing towards improving our engineering process
- Working with the Head of Engineering, Product Management and other team leaders to inform product road mapping
- Writing and improving automated tests using Rspec and Capybara
- Conduct technical and- feature risk assessments
- Understanding and influencing the vision and overall strategy
- Helping maintain code quality, organization and automatization
Skills & Requirements
- 7+ years of production engineering experience
- 5+ years experience with Ruby on Rails or other server-side frameworks
- Experience with SQL and relational databases (we use PostgreSQL)
- Ability to work and participate in an agile team setting with an open, collaborative communication style
- Strong problem solving, debugging skills, eye for detail, and an ability to anticipate and find corner cases
- Proficient in design of algorithms and data structures
- Experience in Unit Testing or Test Driven Development
- Ability to respond to situations in a timely manner, and meet personal commitments
- Exposure to AWS
- Excellent problem solving skills
- An open mind and great work ethic
- A passion to learn and grow with the company
- Maintains high ethical standards and a positive, professional demeanor
Why Join Flow Kana?
You've probably heard cannabis will be a $40+ billion industry by as early as 2020. While it is no doubt there is enormous market potential, more importantly, the Flow Kana team sees an incredible opportunity to shape the future of an entire industry.
Through a values-driven approach and a regulated market, we have the chance to break down prohibition stigmas to show that cannabis can play an emerging role in treating many common medical conditions, as well as provide important tax and societal benefits. We also believe in the opportunity to build an agricultural model centered around small, independent farmers which could be replicated around the world. If this gets you excited, too, we encourage you to inquire about a career with Flow Kana.
Flow Kana provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.