Flow Kana is a leader in sustainable, sun-grown cannabis representing two of California's most special micro-climates and the small farmer ecosystems. We give scale to premier, artisan farmers in Mendocino County and Southern Humboldt by distributing branded products through both wholesale and retail channels. As a company we value humility, accountability, kindness, grit and a pioneering spirit. Through a values-driven approach and a regulated market, we have the chance to break down prohibition stigmas to show that cannabis will play an important role in treating many common medical conditions.
Reporting to Flow Kana’s Vice President of Legal, the Paralegal is responsible for overseeing and administering a broad spectrum of specialized legal and compliance administrative responsibilities. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with others in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment.
What you'll do
- Responsible for providing day-to-day paralegal support to Vice President of Legal and Compliance Manager
- Proofread all entity documentation for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors, and completeness prior to distribution
- Maintain docketing deadlines, contract renewal schedules and calendar, and update as necessary
- Attend policy meetings and take detailed notes
- Maintain in-house legal and compliance intranet and delegate incoming information as necessary to company departments and stakeholders
- Maintain excellent working relationships with internal departments and external vendors
- Ensure all records, documents, and department work are effectively organized
- Perform research utilizing legal legal reference publications, computer databases and other tools
- Respond to compliance questions or issues arising from operations teams
- Assist in the development of content for & administer company wide compliance training program
- Draft initial legal forms and templates
- Project manage and/or execute the development of legal and compliance document databases and work flow processes
- Develop and maintain compliance documents such as shared legal and compliance websites, SOP’s, memos, department playbooks, compliance guides, etc.
- Manage awareness materials to help improve access to and awareness of regulatory requirements for staff, farmer partners, vendor partners, and client dispensaries
- Follow up on corrective action plans and project manage as needed
- Manage audits of packaging and labelling of internal and external products to ensure compliance
- Pull and prepare data in response to reporting requests and audit requirements
What you'll need
- 3-5 years working as a legal assistant or paralegal or in compliance
- BA degree required
- Paralegal or comparable certification preferred, but not required
- Strong computer skills, preferably with G-Suite and Microsoft Word
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Solid writing skills
- Ability to work effectively and meet deadlines, including the ability to effectively prioritize among multiple projects
- Solid judgement and analytical skills
- Familiarity with law, legal procedures and protocols
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
What we offer
- Competitive pay
- Health benefits
- PTO & paid holidays
- Snacks & drinks
- Dog friendly offices
- Monthly CSA box
Why Flow Kana?
You've probably heard cannabis will be a $40+ billion industry as early as 2020. While it is no doubt there is enormous market potential, more importantly, the Flow Kana team sees an incredible opportunity to shape the future of the entire industry. We have a team of over 200 employees across our 6 locations and are doubling in size in 2019!
Our network of independent farmers are true stewards of the land and have spent their lives balancing a unique, harmonious relationship between the farm, the genetics and the terroir using only organic methods. The result is an unparalleled product that simply cannot be found anywhere else.
We believe that everyone should know who grows their cannabis — including where and how it’s grown. Our values as a company are simple — we are pioneers of positive impact, and value respect, humility, and grit above all else.
Pioneering spirit — We are all professional leaders in our communities seeking continuous improvement in the growth of the cannabis industry with adaptability, initiative, determination, and commitment.
Positive Impact — We are socially and environmentally conscious, community oriented, and focused on identifying the highest impact we can have for the greater good.
Respect — We honor and respect the plant, each other, the heritage of the farmers and producers and the journeys that have brought each one of us together.
Humility — We approach all of our interactions with our team, customers and stakeholders with our authentic selves and an ego-less confidence that seeks to with integrity, collaborate, add value and strengthen the Flow Kana brand from the heart.
Grit — We are tenacious and always hungry. We never settle and conquer all challenges in front of us. We are resilient and operate with great integrity. We all are destigmatizing the perceptions of the cannabis community through transparent, professional, best in class performance.
Flow Kana provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.