Director of Manufacturing
Flow Kana is the first sustainable, sungrown cannabis company to embrace the small, independent farm ecosystem. We partner with, and give scale to, craft farmers in Northern California and values-aligned brands who honor beyond-organic farming practices. We offer a wide range of processing, co-packing, white label, and distribution services to a growing list of partners including brands, dispensaries, distributors, and manufacturers, who all share our values and vision of building a better supply chain for our industry.
Through a values-driven approach and a regulated market, we’re breaking down prohibition stigmas to show the important role that cannabis plays in treating countless common medical conditions. We’re building an agricultural model that empowers small, independent farmers, that can be replicated worldwide, supporting Flow Kana’s vision: to become the world’s largest provider of sungrown, organic cannabis products. If this gets you excited, too, come work with us!
The Director of our new business unit, Manufacturing, plays a pivotal part in the organization, helping to set business strategy and working directly with every other department on a day-to-day basis – sales, logistics, new product development, operations and finance to drive results. This is a hands-on role where leadership, initiative and decision-making will make a difference not only within the business, but across the organization. The role has day-to-day exposure across not only the business units and the functional leads, but also the leadership team.
The Director of Manufacturing is a change agent and a people manager at heart who is motivated by being a strong leader and mentor who understands the requirements of a dynamic and ever-changing environment and maintains a can-do attitude.
What you'll do
- Drive P&L growth for the Manufacturing business unit
- Oversee the successful development and installation of equipment of the Flow Kana Manufacturing HUB in collaboration with our partners
- Oversee day-to-day manufacturing operations and ensure a safe, efficient, productive and positive work environment
- Create and manage daily, weekly, and long-term production and sourcing schedules to meet company sales needs and growth objectives
- Manage extraction operations; oversee the biomass supply inputs ahead of harvest in collaboration with the procurement team
- Meet expense and labor goals to ensure profitability
- Develop and maintain KPIs for monitoring operational efficiency of manufacturing programs and for employees
- Hire, train and hold team members accountable to Flow Kana standards
- Maximize team and individual performance through consistent coaching and feedback
- Reconcile and report daily, weekly and long-term production data to meet company standards and compliance requirements
- Develop incentive programs to increase production
- Promote employee morale and motivate through positive communications and proactive problem solving to ensure an efficient and team oriented work environment
- Collaborate with Downstream Operations team on weekly transports and supply schedules to satisfy inventory needs at other Flow Kana locations
- Attend weekly sales calls to meet current and future needs across our California markets
- Ensure compliance with Cal/OSHA, and other relevant worker safety regulations in a manufacturing environment
- Comply with the the State Track and Trace system, manage Certificate Of Analysis inventory.
- Negotiate term sheet and oversee business relationships with FK extraction partners
- Partner with Technology Team and Policy Team to ensure efficient regulatory compliance for all Manufacturing related activities (document records, inventory counts, etc.)
- Responsible for new product development and product quality assurance
- Develop, implement and maintain a robust Quality Management System to ensure consistent quality control
- Negotiate agreements and contracts with partners, joint ventures as necessary and other entities
What you'll need
- 5+ years of management, business development, and leadership experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced cross-functional environment
- Strong initiative and demonstrated leadership across functions and levels
- The ability to work with a flexible schedule that is aligned with business needs
- Can-do attitude; get things done; entrepreneurial mind-set
- Strong analytical skills mixed a solid creative instinct
- Outstanding communication skills – both oral and written
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Google Suites
- A service-oriented leadership style with a demonstrated track record of delivering on business goals; i.e. profitability, sustained growth, manufacturing efficiencies and new product development
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, ISO and GMPs
- Cannabis industry experience is a plus
- Early stage business experience a plus
What we offer
- Competitive pay
- Health benefits
- PTO & paid holidays
- Snacks & drinks
- Dog friendly offices
- Monthly CSA box
Why Flow Kana?
You've probably heard cannabis will be a $40+ billion industry as early as 2020. While it is no doubt there is enormous market potential, more importantly, the Flow Kana team sees an incredible opportunity to shape the future of the entire industry. We have a team of over 200 employees across our 6 locations and are doubling in size in 2019!
Our network of independent farmers are true stewards of the land and have spent their lives balancing a unique, harmonious relationship between the farm, the genetics and the terroir using only organic methods. The result is an unparalleled product that simply cannot be found anywhere else.
We believe that everyone should know who grows their cannabis — including where and how it’s grown. Our values as a company are simple — we are pioneers of positive impact, and value respect, humility, and grit above all else.
Pioneering spirit — We are all professional leaders in our communities seeking continuous improvement in the growth of the cannabis industry with adaptability, initiative, determination, and commitment.
Positive Impact — We are socially and environmentally conscious, community oriented, and focused on identifying the highest impact we can have for the greater good.
Respect — We honor and respect the plant, each other, the heritage of the farmers and producers and the journeys that have brought each one of us together.
Humility — We approach all of our interactions with our team, customers and stakeholders with our authentic selves and an ego-less confidence that seeks to with integrity, collaborate, add value and strengthen the Flow Kana brand from the heart.
Grit — We are tenacious and always hungry. We never settle and conquer all challenges in front of us. We are resilient and operate with great integrity. We all are destigmatizing the perceptions of the cannabis community through transparent, professional, best in class performance.
Flow Kana provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.