Head of Wholesale Biomass Procurement
Flow Kana is the first sustainable, sungrown cannabis company to embrace the small, independent farm ecosystem. We partner with, and give scale to, craft farmers in Northern California and values-aligned brands who honor beyond-organic farming practices. We offer a wide range of processing, co-packing, white label, and distribution services to a growing list of partners including brands, dispensaries, distributors, and manufacturers, who all share our values and vision of building a better supply chain for our industry.
Through a values-driven approach and a regulated market, we’re breaking down prohibition stigmas to show the important role that cannabis plays in treating countless common medical conditions. We’re building an agricultural model that empowers small, independent farmers, that can be replicated worldwide, supporting Flow Kana’s vision: to become the world’s largest provider of sungrown, organic cannabis products. If this gets you excited too, come work with us!
As the Head of Wholesale Biomss Procurement reporting to the VP of Supply Chain, you will help Flow Kana develop and execute strategies to successfully procure cannabis biomass and other raw bulk cannabis derivatives to meet the needs of the company for its Third Party Wholesale Channel in addition to the channel for Flow Kana and Powered By Flow Kana distributed brands. This is a leadership role which is highly collaborative, strategic and still very much hands-on.
What you'll do
- Oversee and direct purchases from farms who are not already in the Flow Kana contract network and from regional aggregators with whom Flow Kana is partnered / contracted with
- Support procurement efforts with in-network farms for grading, pricing, and negotiations
- Work collaboratively with the Head of Flower Procurement as the core procurement team for servicing the Third Party Wholesale Channel (Bulk Sales)
- Work collaboratively with the Wholesale (B2B) Sales Team to meet client monthly procurement quotas, and to assist in communicating the product value and meeting with clients to review product
- Work collaboratively with Farmer Relations, Intake, Quality Control, Processing, Accounting, and Sales to forecast inventory needs and to support the sell-through of existing inventory; assisting with grading, pricing negotiations, and sales support as needed to accelerate revenue and inventory turn
- Make purchase recommendations based on farm type, product category, price, internally approved payment structures and terms, and demand forecasts
- Work with accounting to oversee the timely and accurate payments for all purchases
- Work with Logistics to oversee the timely and accurate pick-up and delivery for all purchases
- Maintain appropriate inventory mix to ensure availability matching client needs and maintain company sales and margin goals
- Create a procurement plan and execute against specific targets, tracking milestones to ensure expected and predicted outcomes
- Create and constantly improve procurement best practices and processes
- Develop a contact database of procurement sources, tracking all pertinent information about each supplier and their available inventory
- Think creatively; always attempt to improve processes that delight customers and aspire to seamless, flawless transactions
- Be a multifaceted team player, reporting out to showcase efforts, successes, and roadblocks
- Partner with Flow Kana’s Recruiting arm to build out a procurement team through recruiting and interviewing when needed
What you'll need
- 10+ years in cannabis procurement and sales; cannabis industry experience required
- Willingness to travel (60% time on the road with suppliers; 40% time at FCI, Flow Kana headquarters working with the internal team and meeting with key buyers as needed)
- Proven purchasing and sales experience in a scaling startup organization
- Ability to work in a fast-paced cross-functional environment with little oversight
- Strong initiative and demonstrated leadership across functions and levels
- Can-do attitude; get things done; entrepreneurial mind-set
- Strong analytical skills mixed with a solid creative instinct
- Outstanding communication skills – both oral and written
- Expert use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Google Suites
- Experience using multiple CRM systems and establishing pipeline tracking within them
- A service-oriented leadership style with a demonstrated track record of delivering on business goals; i.e. profitability, sustained growth, manufacturing efficiencies and new product development
What we offer
- Competitive pay
- Health benefits
- PTO & paid holidays
- Snacks & drinks
- Dog friendly offices
- Monthly CSA box
Why Flow Kana?
You've probably heard cannabis will be a $40+ billion industry as early as 2020. While it is no doubt there is enormous market potential, more importantly, the Flow Kana team sees an incredible opportunity to shape the future of the entire industry. We have a team of over 200 employees across our 6 locations and are doubling in size in 2019!
Our network of independent farmers are true stewards of the land and have spent their lives balancing a unique, harmonious relationship between the farm, the genetics and the terroir using only organic methods. The result is an unparalleled product that simply cannot be found anywhere else. We believe that everyone should know who grows their cannabis — including where and how it’s grown.
Our values as a company are simple — we are pioneers of positive impact, and value respect, humility, and grit above all else.
Pioneering spirit — We are all professional leaders in our communities seeking continuous improvement in the growth of the cannabis industry with adaptability, initiative, determination, and commitment.
Positive Impact — We are socially and environmentally conscious, community oriented, and focused on identifying the highest impact we can have for the greater good.
Respect — We honor and respect the plant, each other, the heritage of the farmers and producers and the journeys that have brought each one of us together.
Humility — We approach all of our interactions with our team, customers and stakeholders with our authentic selves and an ego-less confidence that seeks to with integrity, collaborate, add value and strengthen the Flow Kana brand from the heart.
Grit — We are tenacious and always hungry. We never settle and conquer all challenges in front of us. We are resilient and operate with great integrity. We all are destigmatizing the perceptions of the cannabis community through transparent, professional, best in class performance.
Flow Kana provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.