Director of Technical Accounting
Flow Kana is the first sustainable, sungrown cannabis company to embrace the small, independent farm ecosystem. We partner with, and give scale to, craft farmers in Northern California and values-aligned brands who honor beyond-organic farming practices. We offer a wide range of processing, co-packing, white label, and distribution services to a growing list of partners including brands, dispensaries, distributors, and manufacturers, who all share our values and vision of building a better supply chain for our industry.
Through a values-driven approach and a regulated market, we’re breaking down prohibition stigmas to show the important role that cannabis plays in treating countless common medical conditions. We’re building an agricultural model that empowers small, independent farmers, that can be replicated worldwide, supporting Flow Kana’s vision: to become the world’s largest provider of sungrown, organic cannabis products. If this gets you excited too, come work with us!
Reporting to the Controller, the Director of Accounting is responsible for directing and overseeing the Accounting Department’s day-to-day workflow and progress towards team goals. The Director is responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with all financial policies, accounting principles, and reporting requirements from investors, auditors and regulatory bodies. The ideal candidate has the ability to adapt to the changing needs of the business based on updated understanding of departmental strategies.
What you'll do
- Oversee the month-end closing process, including reviewing financial statements, performance analysis and publishing of internal reports
- Ensure that estimates, accruals, reserves and provisions are calculated and supported in compliance with company policies and US GAAP & IFRS
- Plan, implement, coordinate, and execute all phases of regulatory and audit compliance to include leading walkthroughs and identifying/validating key controls, developing test procedures, executing and documenting testing, and reporting results
- Create and/or update documentation including process flowcharts, process narratives, risk and controls matrix and evaluate controls as new systems are developed and/or process changes
- Oversee the completion of all tax filings reporting requirements by third party tax professionals and internal accounting team, including income, property, sales and use, payroll, insurance reports and other reports required by government regulation
- Work with the Controller to implement new ERP system; create SOPs and processes to support new software, ensuring that the system continues to operate as required
- Coordinate and oversee work relating to both internal and external audits for the review of company financial records
- Ensure the Accounting Department is adequately staffed with financial personnel capable of meeting the objectives and responsibilities of the department
What you'll need
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Business, Accounting/Finance, Math, or other relatable field required; CPA preferred10+ years of Accounting experience, ideally with consumer products or manufacturing background, with at least 5 years in public accounting; Big 4 or Big 8 preferred
- Strong technical accounting background in both GAAP & IFRS
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop high-performing teams
- Working knowledge of ERP systems; implementation experience preferred
- Ability to meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with all organizational levels
- Highly collaborative mindset and workstyle with the ability to work cross functionally across departmental functions
- Start up experience preferred, but not required
What we offer
- Competitive pay
- Health benefits
- PTO & paid holidays
- Snacks & drinks
- Dog friendly offices
- Monthly CSA box
Why Flow Kana?
You've probably heard cannabis will be a $40+ billion industry as early as 2020. While it is no doubt there is enormous market potential, more importantly, the Flow Kana team sees an incredible opportunity to shape the future of the entire industry. We have a team of over 200 employees across our 6 locations and are doubling in size in 2019!
Our network of independent farmers are true stewards of the land and have spent their lives balancing a unique, harmonious relationship between the farm, the genetics and the terroir using only organic methods. The result is an unparalleled product that simply cannot be found anywhere else. We believe that everyone should know who grows their cannabis — including where and how it’s grown.
Our values as a company are simple — we are pioneers of positive impact, and value respect, humility, and grit above all else.
Pioneering spirit — We are all professional leaders in our communities seeking continuous improvement in the growth of the cannabis industry with adaptability, initiative, determination, and commitment.
Positive Impact — We are socially and environmentally conscious, community oriented, and focused on identifying the highest impact we can have for the greater good.
Respect — We honor and respect the plant, each other, the heritage of the farmers and producers and the journeys that have brought each one of us together.
Humility — We approach all of our interactions with our team, customers and stakeholders with our authentic selves and an ego-less confidence that seeks to with integrity, collaborate, add value and strengthen the Flow Kana brand from the heart.
Grit — We are tenacious and always hungry. We never settle and conquer all challenges in front of us. We are resilient and operate with great integrity. We all are destigmatizing the perceptions of the cannabis community through transparent, professional, best in class performance.
Flow Kana provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.