VP, Operations, Upstream
Flow Kana is the first sustainable, sungrown cannabis company to embrace the small, independent farm ecosystem. We partner with, and give scale to, craft farmers in Northern California and values-aligned brands who honor beyond-organic farming practices. We offer a wide range of processing, co-packing, white label, and distribution services to a growing list of partners including brands, dispensaries, distributors, and manufacturers, who all share our values and vision of building a better supply chain for our industry.
Through a values-driven approach and a regulated market, we’re breaking down prohibition stigmas to show the important role that cannabis plays in treating countless common medical conditions. We’re building an agricultural model that empowers small, independent farmers, that can be replicated worldwide, supporting Flow Kana’s vision: to become the world’s largest provider of sungrown, organic cannabis products. If this gets you excited, too, come work with us!
We’re looking for an experienced yet scrappy VP, Operations to support our upstream operations. This position will oversee all aspects of upstream operations including manufacturing, inventory management, production and safety and compliance. The VP, Operations, Upstream will partner with all cross-functional teams including Supply Chain, Logistics, Marketing, Sales, Finance and Engineering. This person must be very organized, execution oriented and have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high growth environment while building influence.
You'll be joining an organization that already has a great brand. We are seeking a strong operations executive who has an ideal combination of manufacturing, quality, and operational leadership working in an innovative entrepreneurial business. The ideal candidate will have experience leading teams through significant growth, improving operating efficiencies, and maintaining the highest quality products.
What you'll do
- Work with the CEO and Executive team on cross-functional issues with regard to scaling the company in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Establish strategic direction and set goals for the operations of the company, including rapid scaling and growth management, cost, quality, delivery and customer satisfaction
- Partner effectively with Supply Chain, Logistics, Manufacturing, Marketing, Sales, Engineering, Legal and Finance to ensure the successful execution of the company’s strategic vision and direction
- Provide executive oversight of all upstream facilities, manufacturing and operations functions, including external vendors, facilities growth and expansion, supplier quality, supply/commodity management, demand planning and domestic logistics
- Lead strategy for component sourcing and manufacturing services across the company, including negotiating pricing, terms, and contracts with key non-cannabis suppliers, ensuring the lowest total cost of ownership through the use of effective cost modeling techniques
- Develop and maintain executive level relationships with vendors and suppliers
- Establish and manage the company’s manufacturing processing and packaging facilities while ensuring the lowest cost fulfillment processes
- Liaise with Supply Chain and Logistics teams to manage customer requirements, ensuring on-time delivery, service and support risk mitigation
- Drive a culture of design for excellence throughout all stages of product development and manufacturing processes
- With engineering support, maintain and improve manufacturing processes, cycle time reductions and yield improvements
- Identify, recommend and implement changes to improve productivity and reduce cost
- Monitor and analyze scrap and rework data. Direct the establishment, implementation and maintenance of production standards
- Recruit, hire, and manage exceptional additions to the Operations team
What you'll need
- BS/MS engineering, business, operations, supply chain management or equivalent
- 15+ years of combined operations experience in large and small companies, supporting the launch of product to rapid scaling and production
- Strong leader of people; track record of creating cohesive, productive work cultures, leading large teams (100+), organizing/ directing resources to achieve ambitious goals on complex projects
- Direct hands-on experience architecting, rapidly scaling and managing end-to-end supply chains and NPI, including vendor selection/qualification, volume ramps, and negotiation and management of JDM, ODM and EMS contracts
- Proven track record of executive level execution; managing tasks, details, and people without dropping the ball; eager to roll up his/her sleeves and delve into rapidly-changing details in a high-growth company
- Outstanding analytical skills and judgment. Can gather information, develop models, weigh relevant factors and make decisions based on data, trends, and past experience
- Efficient, motivated self-starter. Performs at a high level of efficiency; completes work in a timely manner. Strives to increase productivity in others
- Demonstrated track record in a high growth environment managing a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to tackle and solve challenging operational problems that require resourcefulness, creative thinking, and collaboration
- Minimum 7-10 years manufacturing and operations experience
- Lean or Six Sigma manufacturing experience, training and/or certification
- ISO 9001 or similar quality management system training and/or certification
- Continuous improvement experience, training and/or certification
- Financial, budgeting, and strategic planning knowledge and experience
- Intermediate skills using MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Previous experience working with ERP/MRP systems
- Metrics/results driven methodology
- Analytical/research approach (identify issues, research solutions, make decisions)
- Understanding of manufacturing inventory, shipping and receiving processes
- Experience with material planning and supplier management
What we offer
- Competitive pay
- Health benefits
- PTO & paid holidays
- Snacks & drinks
- Dog friendly offices
- Monthly CSA box
Why Flow Kana?
You've probably heard cannabis will be a $40+ billion industry as early as 2020. While it is no doubt there is enormous market potential, more importantly, the Flow Kana team sees an incredible opportunity to shape the future of the entire industry. We have a team of over 200 employees across our 6 locations and are doubling in size in 2019!
Our network of independent farmers are true stewards of the land and have spent their lives balancing a unique, harmonious relationship between the farm, the genetics and the terroir using only organic methods. The result is an unparalleled product that simply cannot be found anywhere else.
We believe that everyone should know who grows their cannabis — including where and how it’s grown. Our values as a company are simple — we are pioneers of positive impact, and value respect, humility, and grit above all else.
Pioneering spirit — We are all professional leaders in our communities seeking continuous improvement in the growth of the cannabis industry with adaptability, initiative, determination, and commitment.
Positive Impact — We are socially and environmentally conscious, community oriented, and focused on identifying the highest impact we can have for the greater good.
Respect — We honor and respect the plant, each other, the heritage of the farmers and producers and the journeys that have brought each one of us together.
Humility — We approach all of our interactions with our team, customers and stakeholders with our authentic selves and an ego-less confidence that seeks to with integrity, collaborate, add value and strengthen the Flow Kana brand from the heart.
Grit — We are tenacious and always hungry. We never settle and conquer all challenges in front of us. We are resilient and operate with great integrity. We all are destigmatizing the perceptions of the cannabis community through transparent, professional, best in class performance.
Flow Kana provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.