Senior Manager, Downstream Real Estate
Flow Kana is the first sustainable, sungrown cannabis company to embrace the small, independent farm ecosystem. We partner with, and give scale to, craft farmers in Northern California and values-aligned brands who honor beyond-organic farming practices. We offer a wide range of processing, co-packing, white label, and distribution services to a growing list of partners including brands, dispensaries, distributors, and manufacturers, who all share our values and vision of building a better supply chain for our industry.
Through a values-driven approach and a regulated market, we’re breaking down prohibition stigmas to show the important role that cannabis plays in treating countless common medical conditions. We’re building an agricultural model that empowers small, independent farmers, that can be replicated worldwide, supporting Flow Kana’s vision: to become the world’s largest provider of sungrown, organic cannabis products. If this gets you excited, too, come work with us!
The Senior Manager, Downstream Real Estate will develop cost effective real estate solutions in alignment with the vision of the company and needs of the business including decision support for location, lease vs. own, lease terms, co-storage agreements, financial analysis, operating expense budgets and design standards all of which influence the scope, timing and cost of strategic real estate decisions. They will also exercise strong project management skills to oversee the day to day real estate projects, including TI’s, facility expansions, relocations, acquisitions and management of architectural, engineering, environmental and construction management vendors.
This role reports to the VP of Real Estate and is based out of either Culver City or Oakland, CA.
What you’ll do
- Develop and manage collaborative relationships with the strategic business units to determine real estate requirements and provide information relative to market conditions, anticipated costs, transaction viability and expected timelines.
- Develop strategies for managing the financial impact of real estate to minimize real estate expenses, including occupancy costs, taxes, leasehold improvements, etc., enhancing the optimization of operating expenses vs. square feet of facilities occupied, pursuing state and/or local tax incentives and proactively assessing opportunities for co-location of sites/offices.
- Maintain relationships with broker, legal, developer, landlord, design, contractor and vendor communities.
- Negotiate lease agreements and ensure that all lease documentation accurately reflects the business terms negotiated and that the terms negotiated protect the company’s best interests.
- Oversee the transaction process end-to-end, including strategy development, project planning, team assembly, overseeing market surveys and tours, coordinating site visits, alternative comparison, developing the negotiating strategy, leading negotiations, document review, approval preparation, signing and close out reporting
- Engage with legal counsel to review lease documentation to ensure that lease terms and conditions are effectively reflected in the agreements
- Manage real estate lease expirations and other key lease dates and clauses.
- Develop and communicate clear business cases for the analysis, review, and approval of real estate projects for stakeholders, business leaders, and executives.
- Responsible for the management of vendor service contracts, periodic and ongoing performance & financial review, conducting RFPs, and assuring performance of team, including service providers.
- Oversee and execute on target financial budget of various sites; partner with Finance to track monthly and quarterly metrics.
- Promote adoption of best practices related to the management of real estate portfolio
What you’ll need
- Bachelor's degree in Business Management, Real Estate, Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or a related discipline required. Masters preferred. LEED (or equivalent) accreditation preferred.
- 8+ years of real estate management experience required, including overseeing planning, design, construction bidding/leveling process, renovation projects, and vendor governance within design and construction.
- Experience in real estate financial analysis and analysis of real estate market data.
- Experience executing and negotiating leases, property sales, and consultant contracts.
- Demonstrated track record of building trust and operating effectively within a dynamic and changing organization.
- Team player who can motivate and negotiate effectively with key employees, brokers, landlords, contractors, designers, developers and legal counsel.
- Excellent communicator and negotiator with demonstrated influencing skills and the ability to build and leverage internal and external alliances.
- Must be able to adapt to and work effectively in an environment of continuous change.