Backend Engineer Lead
Engineering – Backend Team /
Why work for us?
Are you a forward-thinking individual who wants to work at the cutting-edge of technology? Do you want to join a winning organization that is pioneering digital transformation around the globe? This is your opportunity to join the Flybits team today!
Named by LinkedIn Top Startups and Canadian Innovation Exchange Top 10 as one of the hottest high-growth global companies to work for in the country, Flybits enables our customers in financial services to provide hyper-personalized experiences through the power of data science and context-aware computing. Some of our recent accomplishments include:
Canada’s Top 50 Fintech Companies by Digital Finance Institute
2019 Technology Fast 50™ award winner by Deloitte Canada
LinkedIn Top 15 Startup
Canadian Innovation Exchange Top 10
What is the opportunity?
As a Lead on our Backend Engineering team, your mission is to help define our product, design and build upon our microservices-based architecture, and lead one of our core engineering teams. This position is for someone who likes to be technically hands-on, as well as be responsible for the growth, development, and results of the team.
You will have the opportunity to work on large and technically complex projects with your exceptional problem-solving skills, while also providing guidance and mentorship to other members of the team. You are comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces, and enjoy learning new technologies and systems. Your leadership, collaboration, and ability to drive outcomes and impact is just as important as your technical skills.
What will you do?
- Provide hands-on technical leadership and guidance in design, architecture, and technology decisions, including system design and code review
- Manage and grow a team of talented engineers to ensure they deliver high quality, timely work while providing mentorship for learning and development in their career
- Work in a cross-functional environment with another engineering, product, and design teams
- Design and work on highly scalable microservices in Go that act as the foundation of our platform
- Deploy, test, monitor and improve microservices in a Kubernetes cluster to enable a culture of continuous deployment
- Develop utilities that help with further automating our build, testing, deployment and monitoring process
- Along with other engineering leads, create initiatives and programs that will help to foster a positive engineering culture
What do you need to succeed?
- Experience in a rapidly growing and scaling company as an engineering team lead focused on setting a version for your team, and lead them to strong execution and delivery
- Solid experience in providing technical leadership in design and architecture, in addition to mentoring and coaching other engineers to achieve results
- 5+ years of experience as a full-time developer in an agile software development setting
- Experience working with a Microservices architecture (developing, monitoring, debugging)
- Experience with message-passing systems such as RabbitMQ
- Experience with Cloud services such as AWS, Google Cloud or Azure
- Knowledgeable in using and developing with Docker containers, including orchestrating them (preferably using K8s)
- Proven track record in developing server applications and RESTful services
- Proven track record of collaborative development with git
- Knowledgeable about both SQL and NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL and MongoDB
- Bachelor of Science or Engineering in a technical engineering discipline is a plus
- Experience with managing a team programming in Go
- Experience with Kubernetes clusters and ecosystem
- Track record of open source contributions and cloud-native computing foundation projects
What do we offer
- The opportunity to join a forward-thinking company surrounded by a collaborative team of innovative thinkers
- A rewarding career path with diverse and global opportunities for professional development
- A competitive compensation and benefits package
- Internal training to support your growth and enhance your skills: generous learning and development budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes and other events
- Flexible remote working options
- Generous vacation policy
- Access to employer bonus programs
- Your choice between Mac and PC to customize your work station
Due to the current state with COVID-19, we will conduct all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third-party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom. Our intention is to respect everybody's need for safety and adherence to social distancing.
Flybits empowers enterprises to connect with their customers more meaningfully through micro-personalized experiences, powered by contextual data. Flybits aggregates disparate sources of relevant public and proprietary data without technical hassle, enabling Fortune 500 organizations to build sophisticated and evolving customer engagement programs with ease. Leveraging unique and patent-protected AI and machine learning capabilities, experiences created through Flybits become increasingly effective in delivering success. From driving product awareness to offering virtual concierge-style services, enterprises across the globe are using Flybits to add significant value to the lives of their customers and preparing themselves for the new data economy.
Flybits is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Employment, recognition and advancement at Flybits are based solely on individual merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. We provide equal opportunity regardless of race (though currently, we hire only humans), color, gender, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, age, religious affiliation (or lack thereof), sexual preference or orientation (or lack thereof), pregnancy status, medical condition, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will also make all reasonable accommodations to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and similar Canadian, State, and Provincial disability laws.