Azure Platform Engineer
Remote U.S. /
Platform Engineering /
About the Position
We are seeking a talented Engineer to join Flywheel's busy and collaborative development team. This is a unique opportunity to work end-to-end on how Flywheel is deployed, developed, and maintained as we redefine our platform's infrastructure layer. Successful applicants will have a passion for problem-solving, teamwork, and delivering excellent results. This role requires strategic, integrated thinking along with technical experience working with a variety of technologies, including:
Microsoft Azure Cloud
Python APIs, SDKs and CLIs
Reading/understanding metrics, monitoring best practices
Continuous integration and Continuous deployment via Azure DevOps
Potential first projects would include:
Creation of Azure DevOps deployment pipeline for the Flywheel Application
Improving helm charts to work in an Azure environment
Supporting the development team in understanding Azure permission model
Add metrics monitoring to our remote services
Work closely with a growing team of engineers and business stakeholders. The development team operates within a lightweight Agile process and is empowered to alter it as needed to achieve team and company objectives. We're highly responsive to customer needs and constantly strive to make a positive contribution to the biomedical and life sciences communities we serve. Team members are recognized and rewarded when advocating for customer success and satisfaction over other concerns. We value self-motivated, creative individuals who work well in a collaborative environment - constantly generating and sharing new ideas and solutions with the team.
Flywheel has a comprehensive benefits package and encourages a balanced work life and home life.
- Partner closely with developers, product, and customer support teams to design, deliver and manage the Flywheel infrastructure to support a growing customer base across multiple regions and public clouds with an Azure focus.
- Drive and improve the whole lifecycle of operational readiness – from inception through deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Develop and maintain our automated CI/CD release and deployment pipeline which supports next-generation application development and ongoing production operations.
- Write accurate, reliable, consistent documentation in order to execute repeatable actions with an eye to convert to automation.
- Debug production deployment or service issues.
- Collaborate daily across a geographically dispersed development team.
- Assist with system security and vulnerability analyses and risk assessments.
- Provide peer coaching and team training as required.
- Pioneer Flywheel’s implementation of Azure Devops.
- Collaborate with our customer’s technical contacts.
What would make you a great fit
- Direct experience with deploying production applications to Azure.
- Used Terraform to achieve reproducible environments.
- Strong software development skills — Python, etc.
- Feel passionate about helping developers get their code to prod faster.
- Think in systems — edge cases, failure modes, behaviors, specific implementations.
- Thrive in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Have a habit of documentation to share your knowledge and learn from past mistakes.
- Driven by curiosity and creative problem solving. When you see something broken, you can’t help but fix it.
- Have an urge for delivering to deadlines and iterating fast.
- Keep customers top-of-mind.
- Maintain proactive and positive relationships across the organization.
Flywheel is the leading research data platform that's transforming the way biomedical and imaging data are managed at leading life sciences, clinical, and academic institutions globally.
Flywheel provides a comprehensive research data solution with all the tools needed for curation, imaging processing, machine learning workflows, and secure collaboration. By leveraging cloud scalability and automating research workflows, Flywheel helps organizations scale research data and analysis, improve scientific collaboration, and accelerate discoveries.
GO STEADY WITH LEVITY
The alchemy of effective teamwork happens when we each take ownership of both the menial and the magical every day. We’re serious, but never stuffy. We keep our cool under pressure because we assume best intentions and maintain perspective. This allows for true teamwork, with a dash of irreverence.
WORK BETTER TOGETHER
We are tenacious and united in our pursuit of solving our customers’ biggest challenges, and no challenge is too big. Diverse backgrounds across our team make us more effective as we listen, absorb, collaborate, and iterate to innovate.
FIGURE IT OUT
We’re obsessed with uncovering the why of any given. Having an open mind allows us to be quick to fail and quick to adapt. We relentlessly pursue continual improvement through learning and imagining new possibilities.
GIVE A SHIT
We’re fueled by grit, boundless energy, and a deep belief that we are doing cool shit. We don’t hesitate to stand up and speak out because we trust that through tough, honest discourse we can drive change and make a real difference for our customers and our mission.