Backend Software Engineer
Minneapolis or Remote US /
About the Position
We are seeking a talented Python 3 Engineer to join Flywheel’s busy and collaborative development team. This is a unique opportunity to work with a dedicated and growing team building large scale APIs, SDKs, and CLIs for sharing and curating scientific and medical data and associated metadata. Tools you build will be used to empower scientists and researchers to enhance their workflow efficiency and sharing capabilities. Successful applicants will have a passion for problem-solving, teamwork, and delivering quality results. This role requires a strong application development background with technical experience working with a variety of technologies, including:
Python 3 APIs, specifically FastAPI
SDK and CLI generation libraries
Cloud providers: AWS, GCS
Docker and Kubernetes
Git, Unit and Integration testing, CI/CD a plus, specifically Gitlab
Work closely with a growing team of engineers and business stakeholders. The development team operates within a lightweight Agile process and is empowered to alter it as needed to achieve team and company objectives. We’re highly responsive to customer needs and constantly strive to make a positive contribution to the biomedical and life sciences communities we serve. Team members are recognized and rewarded when advocating for customer success and satisfaction over other concerns. We value self-motivated, creative individuals who work well in a collaborative environment – constantly generating and sharing new ideas and solutions with the team.
Flywheel has a comprehensive benefits package and encourages a balanced work life and home life.
- Maintain and improve the central APIs and services of Flywheel’s imaging research platform, written primarily in Python.
- Design and build new services as required for new features with a focus on scalability
- Work with Product Management and Quality Assurance teams to develop features and improvements to the Flywheel products and services that exhibit quality and efficiency.
- Improve the observability of new and existing services, helping us catch problems sooner.
- Meet standards in code quality and testing set forth by the team, and make suggestions for improvements.
- Debug software or service issues reported by users and author fixes.
- Collaborate daily across a geographically dispersed development team.
What would make you a great fit
- Strong application development skills.
- Direct experience working with Python building APIs, SDKs and/or CLIs.
- Strong knowledge of API best practices.
- Experience building services that handle large file transfers and interact with cloud storage services like GCS, S3, etc.
- Feel passionate about writing quality code.
- Work with an eye towards details and edge cases.
- Thrive in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Have a habit of documentation to share your knowledge and learn from past mistakes.
- Driven by curiosity and creative problem solving.
- Have an urge for delivering to deadline and iterating fast.
- Keep customers top-of-mind.
Flywheel is the leading research data platform that provides all the tools needed for data curation, image processing, machine learning workflows, and secure collaboration. By leveraging cloud scalability and automating research workflows, Flywheel helps organizations scale research data and analysis, improve scientific collaboration, and accelerate discoveries.
Headquartered in Minneapolis with offices in the Bay Area, Boston, and Budapest.