Scientific Solutions Engineer
Remote U.S. /
Scientific Solutions /
About the Position
We are seeking a Scientific Solutions Engineer to join our passionate team of engineers and scientists. At Flywheel, we’re creating a world-class data sharing and distributed computing platform serving biomedical imaging and life sciences research. The Scientific Solutions Engineering (SSE) team expands and supports Flywheel Gears. Gears are open-sourced, packaged scientific algorithms which enhance the core Flywheel framework to extend and customize applications for customer’s needs. SSEs build and maintain Flywheel gears, contribute to various aspects of the Flywheel platform, and leverage a variety of custom-built tools to solve complex problems faced by our community of users, all while adhering to a high-standard of quality and reproducibility.
The SSE team has high-visibility with a central purpose: To make a positive contribution to the biomedical and life sciences communities we serve. Qualified candidates will have experience being the “Technical Integrator” for multiple academic or commercial research projects, connecting users, data, new or existing algorithms, and results into a reproducible system.
Join us as we develop best practices for collaborative processes between engineers, the technical operations team, R&D, the SSE team, and the customer. Team members are recognized and rewarded when advocating for customer success, scientific rigor, and reproducible methods above other concerns. We value self-motivated, creative individuals who work well in a collaborative environment – constantly generating and sharing new ideas and innovative solutions with the team.
Our team is made up of people who code, many of which have PhDs.
Flywheel has a comprehensive benefits package and encourages a balanced work life and home life.
- Aid customers in creating Gears and analysis pipelines to achieve their research project objectives, including rewriting or adapting existing code and conversation of scripts into Python.
- Promote "best practices" for Gear development and product usage through documentation, blog posts, ad-hoc training.
- Develop methods for migrating historical data from file systems and other scientific data management systems.
- Develop methods for customers to load public datasets into Flywheel platform.
- Serve as advisor to the product management team for overall product experience and to key stakeholders for expanding data types supported on Flywheel.
- Read customer-written code and applications, translate , and integrate into Flywheel's platform.
- Work independently with a remote team.
- Software development experience with Python (required), Matlab, Docker, Bash
- CI/CD Workflows
- Familiarity with open source software development and demonstrated community contributions
- Experience working with APIs and diverse data sources
- Machine Learning, Data Science, ETL
- Experience with scientific workflows designed for computational reproducibility
- Neuroimaging research workflow and analysis pipelines including common tools, such as FreeSurfer, FSL, AFNI, SPM ANTs
- Integrating Systems related to data acquisition and data analysis for users in multiple groups/disciplines
- Knowledge of Brain Imaging Data Structure (BIDS) a plus
- Research experience with clinical or medical imaging will be helpful
- Knowledge of DICOM standard or MR experience a plus
- Published methods in neuroimaging a bonus
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities while being response to stakeholder's needs
- Regulatory experience (e.g., 21 CFR 11, SaMD) a plus
Flywheel is the leading research data platform that provides all the tools needed for data curation, image processing, machine learning workflows, and secure collaboration. By leveraging cloud scalability and automating research workflows, Flywheel helps organizations scale research data and analysis, improve scientific collaboration, and accelerate discoveries.
Headquartered in Minneapolis with offices in the Bay Area, Boston, and Budapest.