Platform Engineer (DevOps)
Minneapolis or Remote US /
About the Position
We are seeking a talented Engineer to join Flywheel's busy and collaborative development team. This is a unique opportunity to work end-to-end on how Flywheel is deployed, developed, and maintained as we redefine our platform's infrastructure layer. Successful applicants will have a passion for problem-solving, teamwork, and delivering excellent results. This role requires strategic, integrated thinking along with technical experience working with a variety of technologies, including:
Cloud providers: AWS, GCS, Azure
Python APIs, SDKs and CLIs
Reading/understanding metrics, monitoring best practices
Continuous integration Continuous deployment, GitLab is a plus
Work closely with a growing team of engineers and business stakeholders. The development team operates within a lightweight Agile process and is empowered to alter it as needed to achieve team and company objectives. We're highly responsive to customer needs and constantly strive to make a positive contribution to the biomedical and life sciences communities we serve. Team members are recognized and rewarded when advocating for customer success and satisfaction over other concerns. We value self-motivated, creative individuals who work well in a collaborative environment - constantly generating and sharing new ideas and solutions with the team.
Flywheel has a comprehensive benefits package and encourages a balanced work life and home life.
- Partner closely with developers, product, and customer support teams to design, deliver and manage the Flywheel infrastructure to support a growing customer base across multiple regions and public clouds.
- Drive and improve the whole lifecycle of operational readiness – from inception through deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Develop and maintain our automated CI/CD release and deployment pipeline which supports next-generation application development and ongoing production operations.
- Advise on best practices throughout the full software development lifecycle, working with teams to ensure designs are scalable, maintainable, and supportable.
- Write accurate, reliable, consistent documentation in order to execute repeatable actions with an eye to convert to automation.
- Debug production deployment or service issues.
- Advise on the design and development of automation frameworks and testing processes in cooperation with the QA team.
- Collaborate daily across a geographically dispersed development team.
- Assist with system security and vulnerability analyses and risk assessments.
- Provide peer coaching and team training as required.
What would make you a great fit
- Direct experience with production application deployments in AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Infrastructure as code tools such as Ansible, Terraform, etc.
- Strong software development skills — Python, etc.
- Feel passionate about helping developers get their code to prod faster.
- Think in systems — edge cases, failure modes, behaviors, specific implementations.
- Thrive in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
- Have a habit of documentation to share your knowledge and learn from past mistakes.
- Driven by curiosity and creative problem solving. When you see something broken, you can’t help but fix it.
- Have an urge for delivering to deadline and iterating fast.
- Keep customers top-of-mind.
- Maintain proactive and positive relationships across the organization.
- Azure experience a plus.
Your potential first projects would include
- Complete and improve the automated deployment pipeline of the application using GitLab, Helm and Bash.
- Define incident response procedures and alerting criteria.
- Create services to support ephemeral test environments for the Engineering team.
- Add metrics monitoring to our remote services.
Flywheel is the leading research data platform that provides all the tools needed for data curation, image processing, machine learning workflows, and secure collaboration. By leveraging cloud scalability and automating research workflows, Flywheel helps organizations scale research data and analysis, improve scientific collaboration, and accelerate discoveries.
Headquartered in Minneapolis with offices in the Bay Area, Boston, and Budapest.