USA - CA - South San Francisco
Product & Engineering – GIS Engineering
Zipline’s mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. We believe that where you live should never dictate whether you live. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, life-saving medical supplies at national scale in several countries and expanding around the world. Are you interested in building a system that 500 million people will depend on with their lives?
This role works very closely with the Business Development team to support our expansion efforts throughout the world. As a GIS Developer, you will:
Analyze pre-commercial opportunities. Inform Zipline’s and our potential customers’ understanding of a potential deployment in a given geography using GIS layers and other geographic data sets, including but not limited to attributes such as population, health system infrastructure, other utilities infrastructure, airspace, and health outcomes.
Placement of Distribution Centers. Identify optimal places for a new center given a set of various internal and external parties’ key needs and constraints.
GIS Data Processing. Own transforming data layers used for early stage analysis into the required inputs for both New Deployments and Site Bringup processes.
Visual Representations. Create compelling maps and other visuals of Zipline’s potential deployments that convey clear information to external and internal audiences as needed.
Data source of truth. Maintain, curate, and source the data that Zipline uses for making business critical decisions.
Build Geospatial Tools. Surface data into useful web based tools and formats to speed up the analysis of teams at Zipline.
Maintain Geospatial Platform. Help tie together all geospatial data at Zipline into one integrated system.
In order to succeed, you need to have:
- Strong GIS software skills in: ESRI (arc-gis) or QGis ; Relational Database - Postgres / PostGIS ; Python
- Proficiency in 3D coordinate system transformations
- Excellent analytical skills
- Creativity in how to approach/triangulate analysis when there is limited information available
- Strong cartographic skills and visual design instincts for making customer-facing materials as appropriate
- Ability to communicate clearly with internal team members to understand their needs, surface roadblocks, identify creative solutions that meet needs appropriately, and prioritize across internal customers (particularly when faced with conflicting deadlines)
- Excellent ability to transform information or computed data into geospatial data layers
- Must be eligible to work in the US
It is an added bonus if you have:
- Strong software experience in: GDAL / Shapely / Pandas / Geopandas / Numpy ; ARC extensions (Spatial Analyst, 3d Analyst, Spatial Statistics) ; AWS Experience ; git experience
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!