Software Engineer – Flight Systems
Half Moon Bay, CA
Zipline is developing the most advanced fleet of autonomous vehicles in the world to serve its mission of providing life-saving medical products to people in need across the planet. To do this, we need the best and brightest world-class software engineers writing the flight code.
You are the right person for this job if you have expertise in C and experience in C++ and python, and are excited to work on systems where your algorithms will direct autonomous behavior of a fleet of vehicles. This means safety is critical, and consideration of corner cases and consequences is a cornerstone of your coding process.
You must be comfortable owning a project from start to finish, crafting and meeting (or exceeding) requirements, and working both individually and with a team of engineers. You are self driven, able to tackle big projects and savvy at breaking complex problems down into small ones to arrive at elegant solutions.
In the first month you will:
- Meet the team and learn the ins and outs of our vehicle system architecture.
- Take on a significant project with repercussions for improving vehicle behavior and system scalability.
- Participate in design reviews across different parts of the system.
In the third month you will:
- Own one or more significant pieces of the vehicle software infrastructure.
- Have run multiple architecture reviews and design reviews on your ideas.
- Work with other teams to contribute on different aspects of vehicle algorithm design.
- Gain a greater understanding of the system design, including lower-level embedded functionality.
In six months you will
- Own multiple significant pieces of the vehicle software infrastructure.
- Have a broad understanding of the overall vehicle software and firmware design.
- Have the ability to identify and diagnose problems by analyzing flight data.
In one year you will:
- Be a team leader and top individual contributor on the software team.
- Expertise in C and/or C++
- Skill in python
- Excellent communication skills -- able to lead a team of engineers
- Self-directed and self-motivated -- able to work effectively alone or on a team
- Comfort working on safety-critical algorithms
Must be eligible to work in the US.