Staff Software Engineer - Backend
We are the world’s largest telenutrition and foodcare solution, backed by a national network of Registered Dietitians and designed to yield consistently healthier food choices, lasting behavior change and long-term results. Foodsmart’s highly personalized, digital platform guides members through a personalized journey to eating well while saving them time and money. Foodsmart seamlessly integrates dietary assessments and nutrition counseling with online food ordering and cost-effective meal planning for the whole family that makes the most of ingredients at home and on the go. With national and regional retail partners across the US now accepting SNAP/EBT, Foodsmart helps bring healthier food within reach to eligible members and can also assist with SNAP enrollment.
Founded in 2010 by CEO Jason Langheier, MD, MPH, Foodsmart has supported over 1.5 million members from over 700 health plan, employer and health system clients, and raised over $70 million in funding from leading strategic and venture investors like Advocate Aurora Health, Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts, Seventure (Natixis), Mayfield and Founder Collective.
Learn more at www.foodsmart.com
About the role:
As a Senior Back-End Engineer at our company, you will play a critical role in constructing and managing data infrastructures that service both our varied user base seeking personalized nutrition guidance, and our team of registered dietitians providing this expertise. Your primary responsibilities will encompass creating durable databases, formulating effective data processing algorithms, and merging diverse systems to assure an uninterrupted, secure data stream. Your contributions will significantly shape the backbone of our platform, forging a powerful link between nutrition seekers and providers. Your proficiency in data management and system integration will be essential in propelling our mission to positively influence lives through the synergy of technology and nutrition.
- Develop and maintain the backend systems powering the Foodsmart web application.
- Collaborate with front-end engineers to design and implement APIs that effectively serve front-end needs.
- Establish and uphold development practices, including code reviews and comprehensive testing, to enhance code quality and system performance.
- Work closely with the product team to comprehend end-user requirements, formulate use cases, and transform those into a robust and efficient backend solution.
- Debug and resolve production, server-side and database-related issues.
- Proactively monitor and optimize system performance and scalability.
- Stay informed about emerging technologies and propose ways to leverage them in current and future backend development.
- Firm in your understanding of software engineering principles, with strong knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Proficient with backend development tools and languages such as Node.js and experienced with server architecture.
- Familiar with database design principles, management systems like SQL or NoSQL, and integrating these systems with web applications.
- Well-versed with code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Exhibiting strong problem-solving skills, meticulous attention to detail, and a disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
- Adept at managing and optimizing server-side performance and ensuring the scalability of our systems.
- Capable of effectively communicating technical concepts to other members of the team and stakeholders.
- 5 years of proven experience in backend development in Node.js
- Strong expertise in complex systems design, architecting robust and scalable software solutions, and optimizing performance.
- Proficient knowledge of RESTful APIs and experience in designing and implementing them for optimal performance.
- Strong command of SQL and non-relational databases, such as MongoDB or Cassandra. Experience with MySQL is a plus.
- Extensive experience developing functionality using AWS services like Lambda, SQS, RDS, DynamoDB, and EC2.
- Exposure to Docker and experience working with applications to run in a container orchestration environment, such as Kubernetes.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related field.
About our Benefits:
- Remote-First Company
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible & remote location (Bay Area preferred)
- Healthcare Coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 401k, bonus, & stock options
- Commuter benefit
- Gym reimbursement
$160,000 - $200,000 a year
Role: Staff Software Engineer
Base Salary Range: $160,000/yr to $200,000/yr + equity + benefits
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries at our headquarters in San Francisco, California. Individual pay is determined by work location, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Foodsmart is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other protected class.