Full Stack Engineer (US Remote Only)
Remote (US) /
Who Is Foodsmart?
At Foodsmart, we’re knee-deep in changing the food and nutrition landscape and we’re leveraging technology and our team of bright minds with big hearts to make it happen. We believe that eating well should be within reach for all, not some. That food should be accessible and affordable and the foundation of good health. And that we have a role to pay in addressing the nutrition insecurity that plagues too many, and that has a direct impact on our health and susceptibility to illness.
We know the Foodsmart approach works, and we know it matters because we have the clinical outcomes published in major journals, serve >20% of the Fortune 500 and 4 out of 5 major health plans, and have the community engagement to back it up. And because we’re all Foodsmart customers.
We are working parents. We are doctors. We are patients. We have busy lives, tight budgets and need to feed picky eaters. We have lived in households that used SNAP and clipped coupons. So we built a platform that truly changes health outcomes and improves lives.
Our registered dietitians work with individuals to offer personalized nutrition guidance and connect them to the Foodsmart digital platform available on mobile and web, to create sustainable behavior change and deliver real results. Our integrated healthy food marketplace, including partners such as Walmart, Instacart, Grubhub, and others, allow individuals to go from meal planning to grocery delivery in minutes — saving them time and money.
We are a Series C startup based in San Francisco but support a remote working model. Are you ready to join our team and help solve one of the biggest problems facing the world today?
Learn more at www.foodsmart.com
If you enjoy the challenge, freedom and satisfaction that comes from both planning out and then executing on a strategy, then you are the droid we are looking for. You take pride in taking complex problems and arriving at efficient solutions. You are comfortable leading, or driving multiple projects forward and have the ability to distill higher level requirements into specifics. Attention to detail is second nature for you and you’ve done enough projects to instinctively know what works, and what doesn’t. You want to be part of a smart team in a fast-moving startup environment that is full of opportunities for growth and to learn from.
- Design and implement new services, integrations and APIs powering the Foodsmart application
- Be a key player in the review of product specifications and technical designs
- Evaluate cost / benefit trade-offs in engineering solutions
- Routinely monitor system health and identify problems / potential problems / shortcomings; proactively provide solutions
- Model engineering best practices through code reviews and collaboration
- Play a leading role in driving team action items, retrospectives, and continuous improvement
- At least 5 years of front-end / full stack experience
- BS or MS in Computer Science
- Expert working knowledge in interpreted back-end language and a broad set of supporting modules/packages. NodeJS preferred. Must be willing to commit to working in NodeJS
- REST API design and implementation
- Good track record of working in a culture of collaboration and execution
- You can demonstrate sound technical fundamentals and a command of key computer science concepts
- Strong command SQL and relational databases. MySQL preferred.
- Experience developing functionality using AWS services such as: Lambda, SQS, S3, SNS
- Exposure to Docker and working with applications to run in a container orchestration environment.
Foodsmart is a mission-driven organization that creates fulfillment at the end of each day, knowing you are working towards helping people live healthier lives through nutrition. As a fast growing startup, there are significant opportunities for growth early on in your tenure. Besides competitive compensation, we offer many unique benefits, including unlimited PTO, flexible working hours, flexible working location, paid health insurance, and monthly gym subsidies.
Foodsmart is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our firm policy to extend equal employment and advancement opportunity to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, national origin, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth and/or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability (physical or mental) and/or a medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, veteran status or service in the uniformed services, and any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.