Vice President of Product Design
San Francisco, CA /
Design – Product Design /
At Forge, we know our team is our greatest asset. We believe in the power and value of design in the creation of leading customer experiences. This role exists at the intersection of those two beliefs, and presents a unique opportunity for a Design leader to establish a world class practice within a fast-growing, growth stage technology environment.
As innovators in the private market, our vision is to deliver a richer future for everyone. We live that vision through our values of being bold, humble and accountable. We experience the value that our vision brings to the world every day, helping the teams behind the greatest innovations of our generation, from space travel to planet-saving, plant-based nutrition and more.
Forge is the company powering the leading platform for the private market economy, and we’ve raised over $85M to help folks at companies like Palantir, SpaceX and Robinhood get liquidity for their hard-earned equity to buy a house, pay medical bills or send their kids to college. With companies staying private longer and longer, we offer employees and founders financial freedom, which also helps companies retain a happy team when an IPO may be an unknown number of years away.
Needless to say, our ability to offer this freedom has generated incredible demand, and as such our team is growing to meet the needs of more companies, teams and innovators in this way.
You are an experienced, passionate Design leader. You enjoy direct contribution at every level from long term strategy to the pixel-perfect details of each moment comprising an amazing customer journey. You are energized by the idea of building a world-class Design organization, at a company where Design is highly prized as a key differentiator and competitive advantage.
You have impressive formal training, an extensive track record of direct contribution, and experience successfully managing and collaborating with teams while in leadership roles.
You thrive in team settings, collaborating with other technology teams as well as sales, marketing, operations and other groups across the company. You are a skillful, articulate and prolific communicator, as one of your key approaches to successful collaboration.
At Forge, our Design approach includes creative space to think strategically about the long term, to explore and research the near future with customers and internal stakeholders, and to distill the results of that creative space into a carefully crafted user experience for active development and refinement. The successful candidate will bring their own approach and experience to these areas, a portfolio exhibiting past success in each, and be given a senior leadership mandate to build their dream team of experts across them all.
- Team: Did we mention that our people are our greatest asset? Well, we meant it. A primary key to success for this role will be building and leading a world-class Design team at Forge.
- Culture: continuously build and thrive in a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture, and aligned with Forge’s values of bold, humble and accountable
- Technical Capabilities: UI, UX, interaction, flows, hierarchies, layout, navigation, shape, color, typography, iconography, copy, brand integration and thoughtful collaboration with partner brands/experiences.
- Impact: creators of design systems that scale for others to build on, enabling consistent Design excellence to extend across the entire organization
- Strategy: lead an approach to design that delivers scalable excellence in and beyond the design team, across all products and into other areas of the business.
- Research: partner with the Forge Product Team to establish relationships with customers and conduct research into their needs, experiences, alternatives and constraints. Provide data-informed recommendations that lead to thoughtful roadmap plans. Create user journey maps and storyboards covering entire experiences from first impression to repeat interactions.
- Roadmap: develop and maintain a detailed roadmap, operating an efficient and accountable Design practice that is aligned across strategy, priority, scope and agile execution.
- Flexibility: comfortable with all levels of fidelity, from low-fi/paper concept wireframes and user experience mocks, to pixel-perfect guidance around moments and flows.
- Collaboration: collaborate openly with Technology teams, Sales teams, Operations teams, and beyond. Whether as customers or partners, other teams should see Design as key enablers of their success, and the success of the customers all teams serve.
- An undergraduate degree with a focus on Design, or equivalent experience applying your undergraduate degree in relevant Design roles.
- An additional 10+ years of experience, including 3+ inside a technology company successfully managing a team of designers as direct reports.
- A world-class portfolio, exhibiting your fit with the “About You” section above through your work
- Many examples of challenges, collaborations, championed efforts and other representative experiences deliveringDesign excellence from within a technology company.
- Direct contribution and leadership experience in Design for consumer and enterprise software products globally
- Alignment with Forge’s values of being bold, humble and accountable.
- A proven, energetic, proactive builder of diverse, inclusive, high-performance team cultures.
- Strong written communication skills for team and external communication, product copy, company collateral, internal documentation and beyond.
Nice to have:
- A postgraduate degree with a Design focus
- Experience in the finance industry
- Experience at growth-stage startups
- A personal affinity with Forge’s place as an enabler and innovator in the private market, helping exciting companies succeed in changing the world for the better.
- Experience with our tools: Sketch, Abstract, Invision, and Figma
Forge is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.