GM and Head of Data Business
San Francisco, CA /
Data – Data /
Forge is the world's leading marketplace and platform for private company trading. With over a decade of transaction experience in the private market, and a huge dataset growing with the accelerating rise of the private market, Forge’s data holds unprecedented value potential for investors and institutions. Never before have investors been given such a powerful and unique view through data into such an exciting, high potential asset class. Customer demand is exceptionally high, the global addressable market is massive, and Forge is seeking a world-class leader to spearhead this incredible opportunity.
Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, this executive leadership role holds responsibility for the team, strategy, P&L and operations of Forge’s data business. The successful candidate will oversee the hiring of a world-class sales and client management team, champion the execution of tactical programs with targeted revenue objectives, and partner successfully with executive peers across Marketing, Product, Technology, Finance and beyond. The ideal candidate will have substantial experience in executive management and strategic leadership, a data-driven approach to success through KPIs and OKRs for their team, an enthusiastic approach to collaboration with other executive leaders and their teams, and a strong track record of developing high-performance, diverse and inclusive teams.
The Head of Data will lead the development and implementation of Forge’s overall data strategy, grow Forge’s data business exponentially, and lead execution through coordination with the executive leadership team of the company. Working with the Product, Design and Technology teams, they will help create, articulate and execute a product roadmap. They will ensure clear communication between internal teams, and continuous validation of features through research with external customers. They will also work closely with Forge’s Marketing team to develop messaging, articulate value proposition, drive awareness, create and convert sales leads, and reduce customer acquisition and retention costs.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record as a general manager, as well as experience developing and launching large scale financial data products globally.
- Develop an investment strategy to build a world-class data team. Develop ambitious KPIs for the team around revenue, profitability, customer satisfaction and business growth.
- Lead as a key executive stakeholder in building the infrastructure, roadmap and technology needed to scale the business
- Establish a thought leadership role in the industry, and operate as a lead evangelist to raise awareness and drive the adoption of the data product with asset managers, hedge funds, capital aggregators, banks as well as venture capitalists and private equity firms
- Leverage their experience with industry regulators and expertise in relevant regulatory requirements to ensure Forge’s data business grows with uncompromising compliance
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners in product, design, engineering, operations, finance, and marketing to define and execute roadmaps
- Expand the creation of validated and actionable insights from rapidly growing data sets to broaden the customer base and revenue generation from Forge’s data offerings.
- Continuously improve, implement and document best practices and metrics for Forge’s data business.
- Support and drive data-informed decision-making throughout the Organization including all business functions
- Participate heavily with the executive team, lead Forge’s data business strategy, initiate and debate key strategic topics and opportunities relating to the data team’s work, and drive bold, high-impact decisions
- Effectively communicate at all levels of the organization including executives and board members
Skills and Requirements:
- 10+ years of experience in a general manager role, including experience scaling a team through high growth at a leading financial technology company
- Experience with all relevant regulators and fluency with regulations applicable to a financial data product business
- Experience in a complex, cross-functional organization where your teams need to collaborate and integrate with other teams across many disciplines
- A demonstrable track record of world-class strategic leadership, able to balance long term strategy with driving short term results
- Exceptional project management and technical communication skills
- Technical expertise at an appropriate depth to enable seamless collaboration with development and product teams
- Ability to effectively challenge the status quo and collaborate cross-functionally in the development of detailed roadmaps
- Passionate about innovating solutions, delighting users, and inspiring colleagues
- Strong strategic business acumen, experience in change management, and a champion of continuous improvement
- A believer in the power of a diverse, inclusive and high-performance team culture as a key differentiator in a highly competitive marketplace.
- A significant network of talent across all functions needed to succeed in this role
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to influence through partnerships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Forge is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.