Software Engineering Manager
Not to toot our own horn, but we’re a pretty great group of people — smart, passionate, interesting, and funny — who work really hard. Okay, we’re tooting. We love working together, and we want to find more smart, passionate, interesting, and hardworking people to join our team.
Based out of Liberty Village in Toronto, it’s our mission to empower creatives to succeed. Our flagship product is a website builder and so much more. Creative professionals from around the world use our platform to showcase their work online, attract clients, and grow their careers.
We’re looking for a Engineering Manager working locally here in Toronto to take an active role in leading our development team to success. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, you’ll be responsible for crafting a fulfilling and engaging work experience for our development team, while ensuring our department is making continuous, quantifiable business impact.
What you'll be working on at Format
- Leading developers:
- Lead and develop teams to ship high-quality software on a predictable schedule
- Represent these teams in planning and coordination activities
- Manage initiatives that contribute to overall team vision
- Support and motivate team members in finding solutions for programming roadblocks and developing best strategies to overcome common issues
- Mentoring developers:
- Participate in hiring and onboarding of developers
- Set expectations, give feedback, and hold developers accountable to their commitments through regular feedback loops
- Help maintain a culture where engineers are both teachers and students
- Monitor and report on key team metrics, progress, next steps, and set goals for future improvements
- Supporting developers:
- Work to surface team issues and help to resolve them
- Iterate on and improve our development processes and technical culture
- Maintain a strong and up-to-date understanding of the challenges and opportunities the team is facing building and shipping software
- Write code often enough to ensure you understand the current state of our development experience
- Stay up to date on industry news and trends that can be leveraged for business impact
What we’d like to see in our ideal candidate:
- You have 4+ years relevant software engineering experience, and 2+ hands-on engineering management experience
- You have first-hand experience in modern software development and can talk shop with the best
- You understand the modern software development cycle and can evaluate and iterate engineering estimates and roadmaps
- You’re a pragmatic developer who will provide a strong voice for technological direction of our systems
- You thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
- When making decisions, you prefer to communicate with other departments directly to ensure you understand the wide range of stakeholders needs
- You’re entrepreneurial, self-driven, and take pride in improving our developers’ and customers’ experiences
Some reasons our team loves working here:
- We strive to deliver a world-class experience for our customers by delivering exceptional work that we’re proud of.
- We emphasize a highly collaborative and egalitarian environment. Everyone builds things and collaborates across departments. The best solution can come from anywhere or anyone.
- We’re fierce defenders of a healthy work-life balance. We work smart, not long.
- Respect, trust, and honesty. Personal and professional maturity is important to us, and we keep each other honest.
- We pay competitive salaries and have flexible vacation and work-from-home policies.
- We provide great benefits: extended health, dental, life, and disability.
- We’re located in Toronto’s up-and-coming Tech Hub, at the creative intersection of Liberty Village/Parkdale.
- We frequently celebrate our achievements after work (or in the middle of the day if it’s sunny).
- We have a beautiful rooftop patio (BBQ included) that our team can work from in the warmer months!
- We close our office the week between Christmas and New Years to give our team some much deserved time off with their friends and families.
- Some of our in-office perks include: a large desk equipped with an Aeron chair and top-notch Apple gear (take a peek here), curating what music gets played over our office Sonos speakers, catered lunches on Mondays and Fridays, and drinking as much espresso, coffee, and tea as you like.
- We have an amazing team that will be eager to help you succeed in your role and grow and develop in your career. Learn more about us: http://wayswework.io/features/format.
- We trust ourselves and our team to do what’s right. We empower each other and don’t micromanage.
The successful candidate must display Format's values by:
- Making an Impact by moving fast, solving problems that matter and always striving to make things better.
- Acting with Care by showing respect, empathy, and kindness to your team and to yourself.
- Building Trust by keeping commitments, being reliable, and being accountable for your actions and the outcomes of your decisions.
- Simplifying by reducing complexity in everything you do.
How to apply:
If this sounds like the right place for you, then get in touch! We can’t wait to meet you. This is a full-time position based in Toronto, ON.
To apply, please fill out the form below. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please. Format is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, creed, disability, or age.