Product Development Engineer - Electrochemical Systems
Somerville, MA /
Technology – Reactor Development /
Form Energy is a small team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems which will make renewable energy fully dispatchable year-round and scalable worldwide. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including ENI Next, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation, hard work, and joy. We are looking for diverse, world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy.
We are looking for a Product Development Engineer to aid in the development and delivery of Form Energy’s long duration energy storage system. The Product Development Engineer will be responsible for engineering Form Energy’s electrochemical system to meet performance, durability, efficiency, cost requirements. Efforts will span electrochemical device and subsystem integration, chemistry optimization, and prototyping scale-up. Additionally, the Product Development Engineer will work with the test engineering team to define new test stands and protocols to validate device and system performance. The Product Development Engineer will work closely with both the R&D team and Systems Engineering team to define materials and interface requirements for the core electrochemical energy-storing device, as well as contribute to systems prototyping. The role is anticipated to be extremely hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent working with our mechanical engineers to prototype new designs. The ideal candidate will have experience bringing new electrochemical devices and systems to product launch.
What You'll Do
- Lead product development efforts for defining requirements and prototyping efforts of Form Energy’s electrochemical energy-storing reactor
- Work with mechanical and manufacturing engineers to create low-cost electrochemical device designs for high-volume manufacturing
- Invent new technical strategies to maximize power density and efficiency of Form Energy’s electrochemical system
- Develop new testing strategies to validate device and system performance
- Co-develop thermal, fluid handling, electrical, cell balancing, and controls systems for the energy storage system
- Help define Form Energy’s product development process (i.e., stage-gate, agile)
- Provide regular data updates to and coordinate design reviews with the technical development team
- Champion for safety, especially in the development of new laboratory processes
What We're Looking For
- BS (MS preferred) in Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- 7 - 15 years experience designing electrochemical energy storage or conversion systems (i.e., PEM fuel cells, chlor-alkali reactors, electrolyzers, flow batteries)
- Has deep practical experience with electrochemical science and systems
- Direct experience working in an environment geared towards electrochemical product development or pilot electrochemical system deployment
- Experience developing prototype electrochemical cells into deployable product systems
- Experience designing validation tests in an industrial product development setting
- Enjoy the fast paced, results driven environment of a startup
- Data-driven decision maker
- Drives projects to completion
- High attention to detail
- Comfortable independently advancing experiments from conception through data analysis
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills a must!
- Hands-on approach to engineering problem solving
- Flexible working style: Can “wear many hats” and jump quickly between projects
- Able to work well in cross-disciplinary project teams and deliver results
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.