Senior Electrochemical Engineer
Somerville, MA /
Technology – Reactor Development /
Form Energy is a small team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems which will make renewable energy fully dispatchable year-round and scalable worldwide. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including ENI Next, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation, hard work, and joy. We are looking for diverse, world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy.
We are looking for a Senior Electrochemical Engineer to join Form Energy’s product development team. The role will focus on electrochemical device and system design for Form Energy’s long duration energy storage system. The Senior Electrochemical Engineer will be responsible for electrode optimization, electrochemical cell design, and device scale-up. Further, the Senior Electrochemical Engineer will be responsible for defining cell testing and verification protocols, as well informing the selection of balance-of-plant equipment. This role is expected to be hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent prototyping and engaging in lab testing. The ideal candidate will have experience designing and testing fuel cells, flow batteries, or electrochemical reactors. Additionally, the ideal candidate works well on an interdisciplinary engineering team.
What You'll Do
- Optimize Form Energy’s cell design for improved power density, durability, and efficiency
- Communicate electrochemical design requirements among mechanical, chemical, and systems engineers across the technical organization
- Co-develop thermal, fluid handling, electrical, balancing, and controls systems
- Define new electrochemical performance tests to demonstrate design improvements and develop validation data packages
- Provide regular data updates to and coordinate design reviews with the technical development team
- Champion for safety, especially in the development of new laboratory processes
What We're Looking For
- BS (MS preferred) in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field
- 7 - 15 years experience designing electrochemical systems (i.e., PEM fuel cells, flow batteries, Hall-Heroult cells)
- Has deep practical experience with electrochemical science and systems
- Direct experience working in an environment geared towards electrochemical product development or pilot electrochemical system deployment
- Experience systematically reducing overpotentials in an electrochemical cell
- Experience designing experiments in an industrial research setting
- Enjoy the fast paced, results driven environment of a startup
- Data-driven decision maker
- Drives projects to completion
- High attention to detail
- Comfortable independently advancing experiments from conception through data analysis
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills a must!
- Hands-on approach to engineering problem solving
- Flexible working style: Can “wear many hats” and jump quickly between projects
- Able to work well in cross-disciplinary project teams and deliver results
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.