Materials Engineer II
Somerville, MA /
Technology – Cell Development /
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
Form Energy is seeking a Materials Engineer to join our dynamic Gas Diffusion Electrode (GDE) Team. Our GDE Team is a cross-disciplinary group of experts in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, and Chemical Engineering. Together, we’re responsible for designing, developing, and integrating our cutting-edge discharge cathode technology for Form Energy’s Iron-Air multi-day battery.
In this hands-on role, you will design, characterize, and test new electrode architectures for long-duration energy storage systems. You'll work closely with a diverse group of engineers and scientists to optimize these designs and ensure that they can withstand the rigors of long-term performance. Your work will make a significant and daily impact on a cutting-edge Iron-air battery technology that can hasten the decarbonization of the electric grid and tackle climate change. Join us in our mission to create a sustainable future!
What You'll Do:
- Prioritize safety across all aspects of R&D, from laboratory processes to electrode designs to electrochemical testing
- Plan, execute, and analyze experiments to evaluate novel materials and architectures which durably and reliably integrate electrodes into our battery technology
- Develop and perform accelerated electrode electrochemical durability tests
- Manage an electrode testing pipeline and improve experimental protocols to enable high-quality, high-throughput data collection and interpretation
- Coordinate and perform ex-situ materials characterization (i.e., microscopy, SEM, EDS, ICP, XRD, BET, TGA, DSC, etc) efforts with both internal and external resources
- Perform root cause analysis to understand and mitigate materials degradation mechanisms
What You'll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, materials science, chemical engineering, chemistry, electrochemistry, polymer science, or a related field
- Experience gathering and interpreting data from material characterization techniques (i.e., microscopy, XRD, ICP, SEM, EDS, TGA/DSC)
- Solid communication skills within a group of peers and the broader organization, including remote team members
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking capabilities
- A level of high attention to detail
- Hands-on practical experience with electrochemical systems is a plus.
- Experience with experimental design and statistical software such as JMP, Minitab, etc.. is a plus.
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.