Bay Area, CA /
Technology – System Engineering /
Form Energy is a small team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems which will make renewable energy fully dispatchable year-round and scalable worldwide. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including ENI Next, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation, hard work, and joy. We are looking for diverse, world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy.
We are looking for a Systems Architect to be responsible co-optimizing cost and performance for the electrical, mechanical, and chemical systems of Form’s long duration energy storage product. This role will focus on working with development teams across multiple subsystems to understand the design space from cost, performance, and long-term reliability perspectives. The insights gained will be used to develop models and system designs which balance what is possible with what is required, guide development roadmaps, and enable engagement with 3rd parties as we move from lab-scale to larger, grid-tied system deployments. This role is expected to evolve over time from analytically oriented to product development oriented so the candidate will be comfortable with and experienced in both sophisticated systems analytical modeling and multidisciplinary hardware development. Preferably, the candidate will have relevant subject matter expertise in the fields of renewable energy and energy storage. While this role is multidisciplinary, the ideal candidate will have a strong electrical engineering background, be detail oriented, and seek to understand problems from first principles.
What You'll Do
- Work with team to define Form’s long duration energy storage system architecture
- Develop testing plans to characterize sub-systems and inform trade studies
- Work with reactor, cell, and systems teams to define and develop battery management system
- Work with systems engineering team and external partners to develop power conversion system
- Work with systems and reactor teams to develop innovative designs for low cost mechanical, thermal and air-handling systems.
- Develop and maintain relationships with equipment suppliers and codevelopment partners.
What We're Looking For
- BS required in Electrical Engineering or similar field
- 10+ years of industry experience in relevant field
- Working knowledge of related engineering disciplines
- Direct experience taking a design through the product development process, beginning with a conceptual design to a manufactured product
- Direct experience managing the release of components and assemblies to external contract and toll manufacturers
- Experience with Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Expert with Python, MATLAB or similar
- Familiarity with power conversion systems
- Comfortable in an electrical lab and performing in-situ electrical systems characterization
- Enjoy the fast paced, results driven environment of a startup
- Data-driven decision maker
- Drives projects to completion
- High attention to detail
- Comfortable independently advancing experiments from conception through data analysis
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills a must!
- Hands-on approach to engineering problem solving
- Flexible working style: Can “wear many hats” and jump quickly between projects
- Able to work well in cross-disciplinary project teams and deliver results
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.