Senior Policy Advisor- U.S. MidWest
Midwest or Somerville MA or Bay Area CA /
Operations – Policy & Reg Affairs /
Form Energy is a team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems to make clean energy available even when the sun sets and the wind stops blowing. We are also developing a new class of analytical software tools to understand storage requirements and optimal operation in high renewable grids, which we call Formware™. Form’s combined hardware and software solutions have the potential to transform the electric grid by making renewable energy dispatchable year-round. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine, and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough technology problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation and joy. We are looking for world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy and create a renewable future!
As a Senior Policy Advisor you will play a central role in creating policy environments and energy markets that value long-duration energy storage and enable 100% renewable electric grids. In this role you will lead policy development efforts in the U.S. Midwest, with a focus on electric reliability planning, resource adequacy, decarbonization planning, and wholesale electric market designs. You will play a lead role in defining and executing our policy vision for the Midwest, and you will represent Form Energy before state regulatory agencies, legislatures and wholesale market operators. This role will involve a mix of high-level strategic vision and on the ground work with policymakers, the NGO community and the storage industry to build coalitions and develop creative, pragmatic solutions that fit specific contexts. Although this role will focus primarily on representing Form Energy in the Midwest, our policy team is active across both coasts, and you will have an important role supporting a broad array of activities and subjects as our team grows. This role will partner closely with the policy manager and will coordinate with the COO, CEO and Business Development and Analytics Team to define policies and market designs that support Form Energy’s mission. This position may be located in the Midwest or at our Somerville, MA or San Francisco Bay Area locations
What You'll do
- Lead our policy development and advocacy efforts across the U.S. Midwest.
- Develop a policy strategy for the region and the proposals, regulatory filings, and day-to-day stakeholder engagement to successfully advocate for our objectives.
- Represent Form Energy before regulators, legislators, and wholesale markets.
- Build coalitions with strategic partners who can help us transform energy markets.
- Establish Form Energy as a thought leader in the development of resource adequacy and long-term resource planning best-practices.
- Collaborate with the Business Development and Analytics Team to identify policy and market barriers to long-duration energy storage and solutions to them.
- Travel throughout the Midwest as necessary to meet with the Midcontinent Independent System Operator, state regulators and lawmakers, and other local energy stakeholders.
What we're looking for
- Strong relationships with energy policy stakeholders in the U.S. Midwest and insights into the region’s energy policy and political dynamics.
- Expertise in resource adequacy, grid reliability planning, grid decarbonization planning, or wholesale market design.
- Demonstrated great writing and communication skills. You know how to translate complex issues into writing that’s widely accessible.
- Significant experience in policy development or advocacy before state regulatory commissions or wholesale market operators.
- Demonstrated leadership and creative problem solving.
- Confidence operating with sensitivity in highly political environments.
- Comfort working collaboratively with technical and analytic teams.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.