Staff Battery Engineer, Anode
Somerville, MA /
Technology – Cell Development /
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We are looking for an experienced Staff Battery Engineer to join Form Energy’s Anode Performance & Durability team, a group responsible for designing and developing a critical component of Form Energy’s multi-day storage system.
As a Staff Battery Engineer, you will prepare, characterize, and test new electrode materials to drive forward the development of Form's anode. The team’s focus will be to improve the performance and durability of the electrode through battery cycle tests and deep electrochemical characterizations, pre/post-testing of material characterizations, and root cause analyses.
As a senior member of the team, you will assist in leading the development and coordination of characterization efforts using internal instruments, as well as relationships with external characterization contractors. This is an opportunity to have a direct and daily impact on an exciting energy technology startup.
What You'll Do:
- Propose and execute electrochemical characterization project plans to drive battery improvements
- Build a portfolio of in-depth electrochemical characterizations of Form’s anode performance with the team by developing and applying measurement methods and data analyses
- Conduct root-cause failure analysis with the team to identify, and understand electrode performance bottlenecks, and mitigate performance degradation
- Develop and standardize Accelerated Durability Test (ADT) methods to quantitatively understand the electrode durability with accelerated time duration
- Collaborate with the material development and the electrode engineering teams to improve electrode performance to meet target performance, durability, and cost
- Interpret ex-situ characterization (i.e., SEM, EDS, ICP, XRD, BET, TGA, DSC) data and collaborate with specialists to accelerate electrode development
- Understand and participate in the co-optimization of electrolyte and anode materials for optimal system-level performance
What You'll Bring:
- 6+ years of experience building, testing and analyzing electrochemical systems (graduate school time accepted as experience)
- Extensive hands-on experience with battery development/electrochemical systems development
- Experience in degradation mode analyses and improving durability of electrochemical systems (i.e. batteries, fuel cells)
- Experience contributing to mentoring and developing other battery engineers
- Well-developed organization, communication, and collaboration skills working with a broad range of cross-functional teams
- MS or advanced degree in Chemical Engineering, Electrochemistry, Material Science, or a related field
- Practical experience with electrochemical science and systems, particularly at the full-scale and module level
- Experience with statistical analysis software, such as JMP
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.