Somerville, MA /
Technology – Advanced Development /
Form Energy is a small team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems which will make renewable energy fully dispatchable year-round and scalable worldwide. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including ENI Next, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation, hard work, and joy. We are looking for diverse, world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy.
We are looking for a chemist to develop quality-ensuring processes for in-house electrolyte formulations, as well as investigate new electrolyte formulations for long-duration energy storage systems. This is a hands-on role in which you will develop preparation workflows for, mix, characterize, and test electrolyte formulations. You will work closely with materials engineers and technicians, as well as support full prototype development. Maintaining a robust electrolyte preparation workflow including quality control will be a critical part of this role and will serve electrochemical experiments company wide. A successful candidate will have experience in aqueous chemistry and associated analytical chemistry techniques, as well as enjoy teaching and mentoring colleagues.
What you'll do:
- Develop high-performance electrolyte formulations for a novel long-duration energy storage system
- Ensure the quality of internally prepared electrolyte for company-wide electrochemical experiments through the development, maintenance, and improvement of electrolyte preparation procedures
- Generate new ideas for electrolyte additives that will boost the performance of our storage system, then go to the lab and test them
- Collaborate with materials engineers to evaluate and iterate electrolyte and electrode combinations in custom test apparatuses
What we're looking for:
- BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a related field
- 1 - 2 years experience with a lab-based chemistry research project or product development effort (i.e., full time industrial position, internships, undergraduate research experiences)
- Ability to perform and interpret data from analytical techniques (e.g., titration, GCMS, ICP, LCMS, HPLC, UV-Vis)
- Direct experience specifying experiment design, testing hypotheses, and interpreting results
- Ability to use hand tools and participate in “maker” activities
- Ability to teach and mentor co-workers on new methods and practices
- Enjoy the fast paced, results driven environment of a startup
- Data-driven decision makerDrives projects to completion
- High attention to detailComfortable independently advancing experiments from conception through data analysis
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills a must!
- Hands-on approach to engineering problem solving
- Flexible working style: Can “wear many hats” and jump quickly between projects
- Able to work well in cross-disciplinary project teams and deliver results
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.