Staff Chemical Engineer, Electrolyte
Berkeley, CA /
Technology – Cell Development /
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We’re looking for a Staff Chemical Engineer to join a brand new Electrolyte Engineering team within our Cell Performance organization. In this role, you will improve our product integration and lead failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA) of the electrolyte component of Form Energy’s long-duration energy storage system.
Why is electrolyte so important? It touches all components of our cell. The Electrolyte Engineering team offers you a unique opportunity to interface with various internal teams, including Electrolyte Development, Component Integration, System Design, Battery Products, and Supply Chain, as well as with external vendors and manufacturers.
You will rely on your electrochemical experience to lead the efforts on electrolyte requirements settings and system integration. Your success in this position will play a critical role in solving pressing and often open-ended technical problems with rigor and creativity.
What You'll Do:
- Establish processes and define system requirements to maintain electrolyte specifications during the service lifetime of the energy storage system
- Perform root cause analysis with the team to identify, understand, and propose solutions to electrolyte integration bottlenecks
- Collaborate with partner teams to define end of life electrolyte specification for both desired species and impurities
- Serve as the technical lead for the FMEA for the product integrated electrolyte
- Drive cell performance improvements through electrolyte integration and maintenance opportunities
What You'll Bring:
- PhD with 2+ years of professional experience or MS with 5+ years of professional experience in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or a related field is required
- A strong technical background in electrochemical analysis and test data interpretation
- Experience leading root-cause analysis projects
- Demonstrated experience with product integration requirements setting and completion of FMEA
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
The salary range for this role is $164,410-$202,785. The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor.
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.