Senior Battery Engineer
Somerville, MA /
Technology – Reactor Development /
Form Energy is a small team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems which will make renewable energy fully dispatchable year-round and scalable worldwide. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including ENI Next, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation, hard work, and joy. We are looking for diverse, world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy.
We are looking for a Senior Battery Engineer to aid in the product development efforts of Form Energy’s long duration energy storage system. The Senior Battery Engineer will be responsible for component integration, conceptual design, and active-area scale-up of Form Energy’s core energy-storing cell. Additionally, the Senior Battery Engineer will be responsible for specifying and coordinating experiments to validate electrochemical reactor performance through scale-up and system integration. The Senior Battery Engineer also will work closely with the Systems Engineering team to inform critical interface requirements and balance-of-plant equipment. As the electrochemical device expert on the Reactor Development team, the Senior Battery Engineer will be the responsible individual for informing mechanical design from the interpretation of electrochemical performance data. The role is anticipated to be extremely hands-on, with a significant amount of time spent working in the lab. The ideal candidate will have deep practical experience with integrated electrochemical devices while exhibiting a scrappy, interdisciplinary problem-solving attitude.
What You'll Do
- Propose design changes to Form Energy’s electrochemical energy-storing reactor, especially relating to optimization of mechanical design, mass transport, and overpotential reduction strategies
- Be the responsible individual for linking mechanical design and ancillary systems design improvements to electrochemical performance test data
- Collaborate with the Systems Engineering team to co-develop thermal, fluid handling, electrical, balancing, and controls systems
- Specify, execute, and interpret experiments to quantify electrochemical performance, as well as execute electrochemical validation tests
- Provide regular data updates to and coordinate design reviews with the technical development team
- Champion for safety, especially in the development of new laboratory processes
What We're Looking For
- BS (MS preferred) in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field
- 7 - 15 years experience designing electrochemical energy storage or conversion systems (i.e., PEM fuel cells, SOFCs, flow batteries, chlor-alkali reactors, alkaline batteries)
- Has deep practical experience with electrochemical science and systems
- Direct experience working in an environment geared towards electrochemical product development or pilot electrochemical system deployment
- Experience with optimizing mass transport and fluid mechanics through electrochemical systems
- Experience designing experiments in an industrial research setting
- Experience communicating new designs through CAD models, sketches, and design reviews is a plus
- Enjoy the fast paced, results driven environment of a startup
- Data-driven decision maker
- Drives projects to completion
- High attention to detail
- Comfortable independently advancing experiments from conception through data analysis
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills a must!
- Hands-on approach to engineering problem solving
- Flexible working style: Can “wear many hats” and jump quickly between projects
- Able to work well in cross-disciplinary project teams and deliver results
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.