Somerville, MA /
Technology – Reactor Development /
Form Energy is a small team of passionate people committed to helping the world transition to a 100% renewable energy electric grid with new technology. We are developing a new class of ultra low cost, long duration energy storage systems which will make renewable energy fully dispatchable year-round and scalable worldwide. The company’s core technology was invented at MIT and is supported by category leading investors including ENI Next, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, The Engine and Prelude Ventures. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough problems that can only be solved with a combination of technical innovation, hard work, and joy. We are looking for diverse, world-class talent to help us change the way the world uses energy.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to design, build, and test the mechanical design of the core reactor in Form Energy’s long-duration energy storage system. This role will focus on generating design concepts, building CAD models, and prototyping new concepts. The Mechanical Engineer will work closely with test engineers and scientists to enable performance and durability testing on new or revised mechanical reactor designs. Further, this role will contribute to product development efforts by aiding in Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DFMA) and Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA) exercises. The ideal candidate will have a strong intuition for mechanical design and hands-on fabrication experience and will be highly organized, with the ability to track mechanical design revisions across a variety of design concepts, as well as exhibit strong communication skills both within the team and to external vendors.
What You'll Do
- Design, fabricate, and assemble new reactor concepts for testing in Form Energy’s long duration energy storage platform
- Contribute to cost models that evaluate the cost-effectiveness of the reactor design at large scale production volumes
- Aid in the design, build, and test of engineering prototypes
- Execute design and modification of test stands aimed at evaluating reactor performance
- Evaluate prototype performance and inform design revisions using data-driven decision making
- Participate in design down-selection exercises, filtering to mechanical designs that optimize for cost, performance, and ease of manufacture
- Manage long-lasting, reliable relationships with external vendors and contractors
- Aid in installing capital equipment that facilitate reactor design, fabrication, and testing
What We're Looking For
- BS required in Mechanical Engineering or similar field
- 0-1 years of mechanical design experience (through industrial, internship, or academic positions)
- Experienced in computer aided design (CAD) across multiple software packages
- Experience with design for manufacturing and assembly principles (DFMA)
- Machining, fabrication, and welding experience a plus
- Experience with geometric tolerancing and dimensioning (GD&T) a plus
- Enjoy the fast paced, results driven environment of a startup
- Data-driven decision maker
- Drives projects to completion
- High attention to detail
- Comfortable independently advancing experiments from conception through data analysis
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills a must!
- Hands-on approach to engineering problem solving
- Flexible working style: Can “wear many hats” and jump quickly between projects
- Able to work well in cross-disciplinary project teams and deliver results
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.