Staff Battery Management Systems (BMS) Algorithms Engineer
Somerville, MA or Berkeley, CA /
Software & Analytics – Software /
Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We’re looking for an experienced Battery Management System (BMS) Algorithm and Modeling Engineer to develop dynamical battery models and algorithms for the operation of our iron air stationary energy storage product. Our data processing pipelines will involve python and our modeling and simulation stack is centered around Matlab/Simulink. This engineer will work closely with the Performance and Integration team as well as the System Engineering and Validation teams to build a dynamical model for use in performance and simulation tools, and algorithms for use within the battery management system. We are looking for a senior individual contributor who works well with a variety of stakeholders and gets excited about tackling hard-to-solve problems.
What You'll Do:
- Generate electrochemical and reduced order cell models for both small lab cells and larger product intent cells
- Work with others to develop degradation models for both small lab cells and larger product intent cells
- Work closely with the Performance & Integration team to design experiments to generate the data required for model parameterization
- Contribute to a model fitting pipeline leveraging collected cell data
- Develop algorithms for estimating the state of charge in our lab and deployed systems
- Work with the System team to define validation and integration plans of BMS software controls.
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years of experience in BMS development or battery modeling, including designing of experiments for battery testing and modeling
- Experience with model-based control development and data analysis in Python and MATLAB/Simulink.
- Experience developing equivalent circuit and electrochemical battery models
- Familiarity with dynamical systems and control theory (model-based design, observability, persistent excitation) as they pertain to battery modeling.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
The Massachusetts salary range for this role is $157,260-$193,970. The California salary range for this role is $164,410-$202,785. The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor. #LI-DNI
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.