Who are we?
How do we work?
Our consultants act as an extension of our customer’s team, embedding themselves in the environment, and adapting to our clients’ requirements and challenges, so they can develop a truly impactful and innovative solution.
We take a lot of pride in both the work we do and how we do it. We love trying new approaches, challenging the norm and we’ll never stop striving to be at our technical best. It comes naturally to both our team and the community we work within to help each other’s growth, share and elevate ideas, and meaningfully collaborate as much as possible. Our people are more than the sum of their parts!
That’s why you’ll get an unusual amount of autonomy — you’re here because you’re brilliant, so we trust you to do your role in a way that works for you. Our high-trust culture is one of the things that makes us so successful, so you do you and we’ll be over here, listening and providing support where needed.
We have two core beliefs here:
The very best ideas are born from a community that is collaborative, high-trust and diverse. Creating a development-led culture is key to us so we do everything we can to cultivate knowledge sharing and personal growth within our team. That means your questions never go unanswered, and there will always be someone on hand to work through a problem.
People are at their best when they have what they need and we’re committed to providing the best possible working environment. Vegan snacks? Slippers for the office? Want to work from another country to spend more time with your family? We got you!
As a Formidable Engineering Manager, you will be part of the service delivery organization and report to the Director of Operations. You will be part of the core team responsible for the wellbeing and utilization of the staff at your location. Breaking it down further, you are accountable for the below areas, either directly or via delegation to others on your team.
Who are you?
- Engineering Managers at Formidable strike a balance of nurturing local culture within their teams while being champions of the global Formidable culture and Values.
- As a manager in the London office, you will support the Director of Operations in ensuring the location is not an island but a part of the fabric of Formidable.
- Live the Formidable core values (Inclusion, Autonomy, Mastery) and mission statement (Make a positive impact every day) by example. Engage your team in Formidable-wide engineering culture by partaking in roundtables, tech talks, etc.
- You will act as a mentor for ICs and TLs in their group with technical and other challenges
- Having extensive experience with code reviews and team collaboration using Git will be highly beneficial
- Extensive domain knowledge and experience working with React core APIs.
- Extensive domain knowledge and experience working with React core APIs, integrating with cloud services, and RESTful APIs.
- State management with Context or libraries such as Redux/MobX.
- Modern frontend build tooling (Webpack/Parcel, Babel, NPM/Yarn).
- Proficiency in frontend markup and styling (CSS preprocessors and CSS3, JSX and frontend templating, HTML5)
- Experience with GraphQL & TypeScript.
- Node.js frameworks like Express
- Databases like MongoDB and PostgreSQL
- Experience with React Native, or native mobile development.
- Degree in Computer Science (or similar)
- Open source software contributor
Technical skill requirements:
What will you be doing?
- You will hire and line manage new engineers joining the London team as Individual Contributors & work with the Director of Operations to perform quarterly and annual reviews.
- You will work closely with the Director of Operations to ensure the Formidable Values & Culture are embedded and maintained across the team, supporting areas of development where needed.
- You will own the engineering hiring process and meet hiring targets set by the Director of Operations & SVP Engineering.
- Alongside your management duties you will be assigned as a billable team member for client projects with the ability to act as the project and/or team lead.
- Your time will be split between technical / billable work and management duties so time management and strong communication skills are a must.
- You will work with the Business Development Manager on assignment and utilization of billable staff joining weekly planning meetings advocating for the London Formidable team.
- You will be an active member of the outside community by organizing, supporting, and/or speaking at local meetups & conferences
- You will work with the London team and VP of Marketing to devise and action a plan to grow our outreach, enhance our brand recognition, and by extension, successful recruiting and business development.
What can we offer?
- Holiday - It is important to us that you take some time for yourself to do the things you love, recharge and refresh so we offer a holiday allowance of 25 days + bank holidays + Christmas closure (usually 4 days)
- Flexible working - We are a fully flexible working company and support people working from home and remotely when travelling - this means you can work from anywhere and set your own hours. We only ask that you are available for team and client meetings and can dial in from wherever you are.
- Travel cards - London travel can be costly so transport to the office is on us! We will provide you with an annual Oyster card for the zone you live in or a monthly travel allowance if you live outside of London and use public transport to get to the office.
- Pensions - We want you to feel like working at Formidable is contributing to your future, not just your career, so we will match 4% of your employee contribution with 4% to your Pension (once 3 month probation period is passed)
- Private Medical Insurance - We like to do what we can to give our Formidables peace of mind internally and externally so we provide full private medical MHD cover with AXA PPP, including dental and optician add ons, (this can be extended to spouses and children too and Formidable will pay 75% of their premiums) as well as life cover & critical illness cover
- Health & Wellness Bonus - Health and wellness come in all different forms so to support you in choosing what works, we give you an annual £1,250 bonus to spend on what is right for you
- Inter-office travel - We like our Formidables to get to know each other properly; what better way than a trip to visit and work with other teams around the globe? We will give you £850 annually to cover your travel and accommodation so you can go and work in one of our other locations and get to know the team better
- Open Source - We have incredible access to a wider community of coding experts who are as passionate about Open Source as we are + an internal ‘Sauce Program’ that enables you to earn extra money for any extra OSS hours you put in
- Training & Development - You’ll receive unparalleled support from your peers + an all-you-can-eat professional development budget to ensure you can access all that you need to keep growing in your role and levelling up
- Collaboration & Exposure - We work in a collaborative environment that leads to continuous, organic personal development. You’ll also have exposure to a wide variety of customers, from scaleups to Fortune 100s
- Giving back - We also love to give back to our community - so if you give to charity and want to set this up through payroll giving, we will match your contributions by up to £1000 a year.
- Feeling peckish? Us too - we have catered team lunches twice a week + a fully stocked office of snacks and drinks to keep you going throughout the day.
- Visiting HQ - Formidable was launched in Seattle so once a year we all descend on Formidable HQ for FormidaGathering - it’s quite a week away!
All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United Kingdom. We are not offering UK/EU working visa sponsorship at this time.